Agnostic.com

1 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doesn't saving the planet mean controlling population growth as well? How do we expect to preserve half the planet for nature when there is this population growth that is so huge and getting worse every second.

@slydr68 Look at new construction. They take areas that were formerly farmland or just a natural space, raw land, and turn it into a business or housing. You can't get away from development. This is constantly being done all over the world to accommodate MORE people. I don't agree. Stop building! Didn't Stephen Hawking give warnings about this overpopulation catastrophe? I heard someone talk about and it sounds very logical to me. I thought he'd given out some very dire numbers.

@Flowerwall You also have to consider the numbers of people who have far more than needed. How many gazillionaires have more than one home, their own islands, or just houses big enough to hold an army? The space is there, it is just not used equally or wisely.

@HippieChick58 Yeah, somewhat, I guess. But I am so tired of seeing new construction. Somebody needs to mathematically figure out the ideal number of human beings for the planet then start implementing plans to make sure every country lives within those numbers. Yeah, I know very far fetched, but population control if used wisely could solve SO MANY problems. And no I am not talking about anything immoral, criminal, or cruel against any living human or fetus or anything of that nature. Just better planning. I mean it's very cruel to allow human beings to be born with the absence of certain neccessities anyway, way worse than planning for only certain numbers of people to be born. Like that Dawkins quote somebody just posted - being alive means you are very lucky, and shouldn't everyone of us alive be VERY LUCKY? Guaranteed to be born on a planet that can sustain us knowing our basic human needs WILL be met.

It's just like in Greta's video you are talking about three "easy" steps, none of this is easy with the numbers of humans growing at every second. Why are forests cut down to begin with? To accommodate growing populations. Maybe we at some point we start expecting populations to acknowledge they cannot continue to grow infinitely the demands of human being on the environment are just TOO MUCH. Less people, better quality of life, well to an extent.

I don't have any idea what the ideal number of people are. Maybe it's three times what we have now, but there has to be some way to figure this out. You have to determine how much natural space you need, farmland, housing all of that, then do the math. Those are my thoughts.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:407428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.