Agnostic.com

9 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, it is hypocritical for Christians to behave the way they do towards atheists, isn't it?

SamL Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

Agreed

"Small minds keep small boundaries." - d.s.

Atheists are typically ruled by logic and morality, not delusions and superstition, so of course we can see past what they cannot.

Atheists are free of dogma which can block others vision.

Yes, and?

I haven't found this to be true...but I only have my personal experiences to go by...I did find this to be true in the military...

It's true in my community and family.
So it is true for you just at a specific timeframe

@ashortbeauty I am excluding my community and family....I am thinking of casual acquaintances, or conversations with religious folk I have had on many many occasions over the years...I wonder if how we present ourselves effects how we are met....but a fanatic of any belief comes off as an ass to any 'nonbeliever', be it atheist or snake handler....an open mind often breeds an open conversation, I have found...closed mind leads to dogma...dogma leads to redundancy....redundancy leads to stagnation.

@JohnnyThorazine thank you for assuming but I am not closed minded. Had read any of my posts you would have seen that. Sometimes out has nothing to do eighth ones attitude or approach, rather it has everything to do with the type of community one is in. There are two atheists in my entire family and community. So in my case your thought process is incorrect.

@ashortbeauty actually you assumed a general statement was about you. I have no idea if you are closed minded or not...but...haha...nah, I think you just got defensive. I am the only agnostic I know, at the moment and I am the only agnostic of my kind I have ever met in person...which is fine by me...I am aware that everybody has their SUBJECTIVE belief systems, whatever they are. My belief is for me as is yours. I was actually referring to the people you might deal with...fanatics...can't expect any kind of fanatic to be open minded. Fun to get them riled up though.

I think it's because when someone has based their lives on a belief, to tell them it isn't real means every decision they ever made was based on a lie. Every right decision they ever made would seem wrong. It would destroy their self value. Their entire reality would crumble. Basically they are fighting to keep what they call sanity. I think most know, but can't admit it for those reasons. People join religions for lots of reasons maybe lacking the "family" or community of other people when they can't find connection on other levels some have never known anything else. To leave the church would be like leaving your family. I believe most religious people know better than the crap they talk but to give it up would mean to start over figuring out what is real. It's safe.

Perfectly worded for exactly what happened to me. It was leaving family and community that I'd known since toddler age. Out was scary but I pushed through because religion simply didn't make sense. I stated in Christianity then moved on to Islam, Mormonism, Wicca, brief stint back to Christianity to now an agnostic antitheist. This was all over about ten years of trying to find the truth.

I was a member of a facebook local social group in the town I recently moved to in North Carolina. I started noticing postings about events at local churches, mostly Baptist. Since the stated rules of the group did not allow religious posts, I asked why they were approved. I was promptly kicked out of the group. Some of the comments suggested that I should move out of the state. Mind you, I never said anything negative about religion.

Wow. Touchy

Very interesting but can’t say I’m surprised by the results.

Some atheists aren't nice to other atheists as well as some Christians.

True. I did have to flag someone my first week in, but since then everyone's been civil

@ashortbeauty I've blocked quite a few here.

@Sarahroo29 that actually shocks me. Guess I haven't run into "those people" yet

Lol@ those people

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40940
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.