Agnostic.com

6 1

QUESTION With teen mental health deteriorating over five years, there's a likely culprit

'In just the five years between 2010 and 2015, the number of U.S. teens who felt useless and joyless – classic symptoms of depression – surged 33 percent in large national surveys. Teen suicide attempts increased 23 percent. Even more troubling, the number of 13- to 18-year-olds who committed suicide jumped 31 percent.'
Guess what? Smartphones.

Maya405 7 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can believe that. Excessive use of depersonalizing electronics inhibits the formation of real human relationships.

gaming may have something to do with it. holed away in your bedroom you're not gonna gain a good support system

Another form of removing people from 'the present environment' of personal contact to that of a machine that give instant 'gratification'. I believe it's very important for kids to learn and observe their 'real' world. My son enjoys playing on the computer (watching videos, too) and watching tv. I limit the amount of time allowed for both. I've noticed he becomes internally obsessed and short tempered right after his computer or tv time. Something I have to keep an eye on.

Smartphones.... or just information. You get access to all of this information and start to wonder, why are my parents so dumb, why is school so useless, why aren't corporate products more useful, how come we still work 40 hour weeks, why is anyone religious, how come everyone is so concerned about the sex they probably aren't having, why is the economy getting worse, why don't all of these conveniences seem very convenient... really its pretty shocking realizing that society makes no sense and your parents are probably not the allies or role models you want.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but in my experiences it seems more 'private' then that. I look around me and it doesn't seem to matter where, at least 50% of people, young and old, are communicating via 'smartphone'. It's a removal of people from their living environment to one of narrowing their vision. My kids think people are born with these things!

schizoid existence is not the best

I agree that overreliance on electronic devices instead of making real human relationships is very unhealthy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.