Agnostic.com

17 2

I have finally watched Black Panther, I have failed to see the hype it received, the whole movie to me looked more like deceptive wishful thinking based on myth and Blackman's obsession with supernatural powers and unwillingness to let go of a Kingdom that never existed anywhere in Africa. May be I am the enemy of my own people, have you watched it? What's your honest opinion?

Humanlove 7 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's fiction , but people have been enjoying super men for centuries - Hercules , Mercury , Jesus , Thor , Clark Kent , Spiderman . Humans enjoy hearing about someone with powers beyond the normal , who has high moral character , is exceedingly polite , and extremely handsome , who is there for you , when you need them most .

It's s fictional comic book movie...quite entertaining though...but I enjoy most of marvels movies...

I watched it and liked it. I'm like a moth to the flame when it comes to action movies. With that said, It mixed a bunch of elements nicely together.
Afrofuturism itself is kind of subversive. I'm an interview with Ryan Coogler, he talks about the common Western outlook of Africa is over a small period of time when Africa is the oldest culture on the planet. Afrofuturism imagines what Africa culture would be like in the future and it drawers on it's whole past. In Black Panther they borrowed from all of Africa for the design of the tribes. It was visually stunning!
There is a lot to be said about the movie, but I'll leave it there for now.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 22, 2018

I watched it and enjoyed it. The movie cannot be deceptive if it is based on Marvel comics. In that realm there is always kingdoms that never existed. My big fear was that virtual reality would ruin the film in some way. Actually these scenes helped the film emensely. There are 4 or 5 people to really like in this movie, and Michael B. Jordan was so good that he could have had the lead role. Could the film have been better? Yes, but it also could have been worse. I loved it but my ex (who is black) did not like it much at all.

There were moments in this movie that were hilariious. A couple of times there was this guy who was trying to talk with his 'tribal' lower lip mutilation.

That's a real thing and I'm pretty sure people that have the lip mutilation can talk.

I thought it had some of the strongest character arcs of any superhero movie. It also had a lot more moral complexity than most. I could believe that both the hero and villain felt they were doing what was right, which is a rarity in the genre. Heck, those who sided with each had valid reasons to see things that way (though this was weaker than the motivations of either protagonist or antagonist, it still made a lot more sense than superhero movies usually have to).
I initially thought Killmonger's urban culture vibe was played up a bit more than a well-traveled, well-practiced, military killing machine would be, but it does play into his background well enough, especially given his motivation.
And, given the upcoming Infinity War, Black Panther's character arc should stand, unlike any hint of character development Tony Stark ever teases.
Overall, I would put it near the top of the MCU, though I still enjoy Guardians and Deadpool the most.

I thought it was crap p too really

I have finally watched <any white superhero movie ever>, I have failed to see the hype it received, the whole movie to me looked more like deceptive wishful thinking based on myth and <whiteman's> obsession with supernatural powers and unwillingness to let go of a Kingdom that never existed anywhere <on Earth.> May be I am the enemy of my own people, have you watched it? What's your honest opinion?

This movie was actually one of Marvel's best. An origin movie that introduced a new world (essentially) that seemlessly tied into the existing MCU. Everything about the movie was fresh (music, art style, characters, etc.). The best part of the film was the antagonist. Instead of a one-dimensional, one-off bad guy, Kilmonger had depth and purpose. And his purpose helped the protagonist, Black Panther, find his own.

Marz Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

I haven't seen it, and I purposely haven't seen any trailers or detailed reviews because I don't like to spoil it when I eventually get around to watch it. I don't often watch movies at the theater, though, so it may be a long time before I actually watch it. I'm hoping it's good, though. I'm kind of burned out on superhero movies and shows, so having a long break until I see it might help. It's too bad so many people here are saying it was overrated; I have been a little disappointed in superhero stuff as it is, so I really wanted this one to live up to all the hype. :/

@silvereyes As long as Black Panther is better than Doctor Strange I'll be happy. (Doctor Strange was visually stunning, but I didn't enjoy the plot much at all. It felt poorly executed, too light on explanation [with a couple of big leaps out of nowhere], and a lot of unbelievable emotion and motivation. I was so disappointed with it.)

I thought it was a good movie but not great. Visually it was amazing. I thought the plot was a bit weak.

I think you are right.

I've long since ceased to understand why some movies are huge, since clearly they are not that good. Like the Wonder Woman movie last that made billions. What a yawn movie! I haven't seen this yet. But superhero movies have worn their welcome out with me.

I haven't watched it, but I'm pretty sure it's based mostly in fantasy.

It was good. I'd agree that it got over hyped, but it was still a solid film. Perticularly the casting. And of course it's got fantasy elements, it's a Marvel movie.

It's an action movie, based on comic book characters.
Just like all the rest of the Marvel movies.
It's fiction. It's entertainment.
I'm not looking at it from any kind of racial standpoint, or any other.

That's how I see it. It was a good fiction/fantasy movie. I didn't look at it from a racial standpoint either.

I liked it because it highlights the "Afrofuturistic" pop-culture movement.

Afrofuturistic must be founded on facts, hard work and freedom of thought, not deceptive myth, I don't see how that film help a black kid imagining the impossible.

@0752532706 Afrofuturistic is a pop-culture movement that promotes the creation african-centric sci-fi, music, literature, art - similar to viking-centric, germanic-centric, chinese-centric pop-culture icons.

@SamKerry Thank you.

@atheist Music is in the entertainment business - so are fiction-based books. There are both good and bad in the music and publication industries. It's the same with the movie industry, I believe.

Not really on topic but I have to throw up a 'like' for the George Clinton vid love that guy 😉

@atheist Pop culture of today is just another art form but that is popular today.

Some of it is not relevant. E.g. Dumb and Dumber movies. While some have a point to make. E.g. Monty Python. And others have a lesson to teach: any science fiction of the past that is now not science fiction.

It's a superhero movie...based on comics. If you were expecting a fact based documentary I'm sorry to say you went to the wrong film.

What's the purpose of watching a movie?

@0752532706 for enjoyment. For escape. To see a story come to life. And that's what it was. A story. I don't understand why you would watch a comic book superhero movie and then complain about the lack of reality

@LadyAlyxandrea people are not rating it as comic movie, if they did,they would brand it as token to Black culture presence and the coming of age of Blackman's future. Our future is not in comics. That's my opinion.

@0752532706 I think you just take things too literal. It is just a superhero comic book movie. Black people are so celebratory about it because it's the first successful Hollywood film with an almost entirely black cast. They find it empowering because it celebrates heritage and culture while also showing that black people are more than sidekicks and drug dealers. They can be dignified heros, too. Growing up, all the superheroes I saw in books and tv were white. This is a step towards equality in every way.

You expected realism. You thought it'd be a true story. It isn't. It's not deceitful myth. It's a work of fiction meant to inspire and entertain, that's all.

If you can't find joy in fiction, then how can you find joy anywhere? I don't understand what you expected from a very obviously fictional movie. I don't understand why you hate imagination.

Imagination is what breathes life into everything. Our future is more than comics. It's in ideas and inspiration and imagination. That's our future.

Totally agree with your views. @LadyAlyxandrea. A comic book superhero adapted as a movie, I fail to understand what people expect from it. Hype or no hype it's just a superhero movie. The celebration is for the large scale of black people in lead roles and that too in a big budget superhero movie and making surplus of 1 bn in box office.. That is a first in Hollywood movies symbolising a small change in the society too. Too much fixation on reality in a superhero movie does not make sense.

@Srijith like, I'm also incredibly sad marvel movies aren't real but for a totally different reason lol

@LadyAlyxandrea I don't hate imagination, I hate imagination based on nothingness,but that's me. I appreciate your remarks.

@LadyAlyxandrea You are 100% on time with your comment. You are so real about empowerment. I haven't seen it but I will now.

@0752532706 imagination based on nothingness?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.