Agnostic.com

8 2

Doubts about reason and atheism.

I've read cognitive science headlines. One theme is that reason is a thin veneer in the human mind. The renaissance and enlightenment overprivileged reason, which is hard and literally unnatural. People think in linguistic frames and patterns. For most of us atheism and agnosticism are based in reason. Is that cause to question non-theistic ideology? If so, critique of reason, does not totally invalidate reason, nor does it invalidate critical thinking in general. What approaches should a would-be non-theist take?

On a similar note, I strongly suspect that the same sort of pattern and meaning finding, language using cognition that leads to the invention of constellations in the night sky also leads to belief in spirits and gods. In short, people are evolutionally wired to be religious. Well, at least spiritual. Atheism, and to a lesser degree agnosticism are indeed principled negative denials of a side effect of our sapience. What are the implications for principled aspiritual non-theism? I’m particularly suspicious of my spiritual proclivities since spirituality is so intimately linked to emotions. I am bipolar, and my emotions are often free-floating and extreme. The contentless sensation of spiritual or religious emotionally laden experience are also cause for suspicion. The aspect of magical wish fulfillment in religion and spirituality are also a huge cause for critique of religion and sprituality.

And yet, as Americans leave organized religion, and even Christianity per se, they drift to “spiritual-but-not-religious” in higher numbers than to non-theistic classifications. Outside of a regime’s adoption of non-theism as its official stance on religious matters (as under Marxist-Leninism), I cannot see a social context where Humans are not religious, or at least spiritual, in the majority. What kind of alliances can non-theists (except perhaps anti-theists) make with more religious peers?

Trent

Trent1967b 4 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So my question is: where does that leave us today? Religion was formed in the minds of primitive man seeking to understand the world around him. Then it was seen it could be used as a control. Since the inception of religion it has been estimated there has been some 150,000 different religions (“The History of God” Karen Armstrong). To me religion appeals to our two basic instincts, survival and procreation. Since we became cognizant of our death fear drove us to find a way around this so we created another, after-life place. Procreation is about the, me and mine mentality which then becomes one of tribalism. A limit of natural resources forces us to compete for these resources and to decide who gets what. The short book “A Green History of the World” by Clive Ponting describes this idea. Religion becomes the defining item separating the different competing groups. Even within the sects there is competition and animosity (because the issue of resource allocation among larger and larger numbers becomes critical). My step-son and step-daughter are both S. Baptists but fight over which church is right.

I strongly believe religion is a natural and universal phenomena. It is another stumbling block for species survival and unless a species can overcome it there will be no controlling our numbers. Nature will do this for us and we could easily go extinct. [thehumanist.com]

Have you read Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion'? It answers a lot of your questions very clearly.

I was thinking more of George Lakoff (https://georgelakoff.com/) than Richard Dawkins. Particularly Dawkins active anti-theism. I am an atheist, I don't believe in deities. On the other hand I see religion as a morally mixed bag. It can do very good or noble things or very depraved things. My experiences with religion were a mixed blessing. I don't necessarily find religious people offensive. What I have heard of Dawkins anti-theism definitely puts me off. However, in the interest of being well informed, I will make an effort to read Dawkins' The God Delusion.

The only alliances we should make are those forming a common pursuoit of democracy, justice, protection of hukman rights, and the treatment of all people with full dignity and respect.

You realize it is possible to be a conservative non-theist (although on Agnostic.com they seem to be rare.) Are there alliances that would work for ALL non-theists, whether they are leftist, rightist, spiritual, anti-theistic, or anti-religious?

I would not say "people are wired to be religious" but rather "natural selection has predisposed us to pattern-seeking and confirmation bias and agency inference because these are, or at least were, survival advantages".

Primitive man gazed at the sky and indeed at all sorts of objects in nature, trying to make sense of them. But he lacked our conceptual framework for understanding it. But the brain abhors a vacuum (the unknown) and so makes up associations if it must, to relieve the tension.

This was the source of primitive religion, mostly animism. Man recognized patterns in the sky, hence constellations. He saw clouds form, move, dissiapte, so there must be a being doing that, a cloud spirit or sky spirit. He saw trees grow over time, so there must be a tree spirit. That lake sometimes gives fish, and sometimes not. Let's appeal to or appease the spirit of the lake.

If Jayne's hypothesis of the bicameral mind were true, this was also aided by people literally hearing voices of these spirits / beings that their minds made up.

As humans had more and more context and experience (and maybe, as the bicameral mind saw less and less use or gene expression to support it), the natural world seemed less and less mysterious and so the gods moved further away in man's mind, into the heavens and the underworld -- the places that still seemed the most mysterious and inexplicable.

Eventually the only mystery that remained was that of existence and purpose and meaning itself, and the quest for transcendence of the human condition, so only one god was needed -- hence, monotheism.

So yes as the remaining abstraction of monotheism begins to break down, the fact more people try to salvage some supernatural belief out of it rather than go whole-on atheist, is to be expected. I do not find it surprising that a relative minority of us come closer to bare-metal reality.

I would not be so conceited as to imagine that we're not missing something, that there are still better abstractions than we're now working with, even as atheists. I am however of the view that we're heading in the right direction.

To the question of what sort of alliance the areligious can have with the religious, we have lots of common cause with liberal theists. The ones that understand that their beliefs are not binding on anyone but themselves, the live-and-let-live types. They are fellow humans, fellow participants in the human condition and we can cooperate on things like protecting the vulnerable, making society more equal and just and fair, etc.

The idea that "early religion was bad science" really sets my social scientist instincts on edge. It does an injustice to the scope of religion. Even in primitive religion, only a fraction of the religion is science by inferior means. I would rather suspect that primitive modern humans lacked the categories of "science" and "religion", and were unable to separate what were seen as distinct realms of religion and the scientific precursor, natural philosophy by the axial age. Science, as we know it, didn't start to emerge until the renaissance and reformation in Europe. Humans seem to have reached our current biological cognitive level several tens of thousands of years ago. There has probably been only minor biological evolution of the brain since. On the other hand, there is a technology of thinking, and that has progressed immensely over that time.

@Trent1967b I wouldn't characterize my position that "religion is bad science" and agree that there was no cognitive framing for the concept of "science" until around the time of Newton. However, religion IS a theory of knowledge, however tortured and unsupportable it may be. It has, largely fallen to critical thinking, skepticism, and the scientific method, and for good reason. Religion was always an attempt to explain reality.

It seems to me that "spirituality" is nothing other than a sense of the numinous, the unexplained. Some people think that science destroys this experience, I think that science tells me that there is so much more we don't understand.

And when it comes down to connection with the universe, we are ultimately part of it. We can't help but be connected with the universe, even if we aren't always conscious of it.

When I meditate, I like to imagine myself a leaf on a great tree, a strand in a spider web. It's just how my small mind sees that connection best. I'm perfectly fine with being a small part of the universe, and returning to dust.

Hello Trent. I think the religious impulse is rooted in those pattern seeking tendencies and the tendency to assign agency to phenomena as explained by Dr. Schermer in this Oxford Union piece

Exactly. We are, as Daniel Dennett has similarly observed, equipped with a 'hyper-active agent detection device.'

So many thoughts here, and well said. However, I respectfully disagree with a number of points, but will focus on the primary question regarding reason.

To say that the Age of Enlightenment “overprivileged reason” when Europe was plagued by witch hunts, dungeons of torture, executions of heretics via the auto-da-fé, religious wars, and all manner of superstitious beliefs and unscientific nonsense, is to call into question the very concept of “overprivilege.” If only such ‘privilege’ were given earlier, think of how many lives might have been spared, and how many more Newtons in place of Calvins, Bacons instead of Luthers, or Brunos in place of any number of Popes and Roman Inquisitors there might have been!

While we should always be skeptical and free to critique any point of view or path of inquiry, one must wonder what choice we have, apart from reason and the scientific method, that enables the species to gain knowledge and solve vexing problems. Having succeeded in extricating myself from an oppressive religious upbringing, and learned to rely on the principals of science, I can see no alternative other than the dismantling of superstition in all its forms, including religion.

1. In the middle ages most of Europe was divided into small principalities, that were frequently at war. Everyone was Catholic. The church spent a lot of time trying to bring peace. A lot of suffering was caused in the name of religion. Nevertheless, the Protestant Reformation and Catholic Counter-Reformation were real theological and political progress. Humanism got its start as a Christian movement. Newton was VERY religious.

Reason brought us scientific racism, Marxism-Leninism, Stalinism, and Maoism. Reason supported Fascism, invented the nuclear bomb, brought us mutually assured destruction in the cold war, and changed climate. Furthermore, most Marxisms were oppressively atheist. A lot of atheists plead that Marxist atheism isn’t really atheist. A lot of good Muslims claim that jihadi, literalist terrorists aren’t really Muslims. Guess what, Muslim terrorists really are good Muslims too.

Who wins the most evil contest, religion on reason?

1. I haven’t read as much Lakoff [georgelakoff.com] as I should have. Still, Lakoff says that rational thinking rests on largely unconscious linguistic frames and metaphors. Most thought is more directly based on linguistic frames and metaphors. How special is rational thought? Is reason universally applicable to all problems? What sort of things is reason good for? Rational thinking is hard and rare, and at one level down it is based on less-than-reasonable cognitive structures. Most people don’t think rationally much at all. An armchair intellectual’s cognition may devote a Lichtenstein on the surface of the Globe to reason, a supremely rational mathematician or physical scientist, maybe eight or sixteen Lichtensteins.

As for eliminating superstition, my limited knowledge of psychology, and more advanced knowledge of cultural anthropology causes me to assert that Humans are massively superstitious. If you want to eliminate superstition, most of it is subconscious, and of what is obvious, you will still only be able to scratch the surface.

1. (Out of order in the original post.) Given #1, what is a non-theist aspiritualist to do? It is not reasonable to try to eliminate religion, and less spirituality. They are inherent in the Human condition. What alliances are viable?

2. (Out of order in original post.) Some people may have almost no spiritual-religious impulse. They are spiritual-religious “autistics”. More common are “agnostics” who don’t give a damn whether God exists or not, and don’t go to church, except maybe on Easter and Christmas. These “indifferent agnostics” probably used to be rarer, when religion was more integral to social life, people in general were more religious, and blue laws might even require attendance at services. In the Middle East, where I lived for a while, there are relatively fewer indifferent agnostics, but the irreligious are still numerous, and careful. However, I expect most people experience and engage numinous, spiritual, or religious experience, and always will.

My own perspective is that religion FEELS great, but is intellectually dishonest. Also, because I suffer from a serious mood disorder, religious experience is psychologically detrimental for me. My response is repression. My own response is repression of religious sensation, but I would hardly recommend repression of religious sensation for others. Some who have posted on this thread have posted about positive extra-rational experience with meditation and Taoism. I glad that others find their non-theistic spiritualism rewarding, but I rationalist enough to still find them vaguely disturbing. Has anyone had experience with some kind of more middle ground in acknowledging (and controlling) religious impulses, that is not actually repression.

@Trent1967b Perhaps it would be simpler, particularly for my brain, if we were to limit the discussion to one or two main points and utilize one font size … how do you make those tiny fonts? Just remember, small print doesn’t reduce the word count! 😉

Let’s start with reason and the link to the many horrors of the 20th century. The oft-repeated trope that reason gave us the evils that you’ve listed is patently absurd. As so many have observed, the atrocities of Mao, Stalin, Lenin or fascist dictators could hardly be called a triumph of reason. Just as with religion, the power dynamic and resulting cruelties are justified, post hoc, using reason as an expedient alibi. One need only ask, were the examples you’ve cited the result of too much reason? Was Joseph Stalin the most reasonable head of state during this period? The same question may be applied to erratic leaders and oppressive regimes throughout history.

Secondly, you seem to accept that, just because proclivities like superstition present a challenge to eliminate, this must always remain so in our species. This flies in the face of millions of years of evolution, where, over the course of time, dominant behaviors and memes were made recessive. We continue to evolve, and there’s no reason to capitulate to the notion that superstition will forever flourish. Our descendants may one day carry with them vestigial religious concepts, but these will be viewed as the cognitive equivalent of an appendix.

My only criteque of reason would be with those that think it can or does rule alone in human affairs.

IMO reason should not rule alone, for that would exclude empathy having any affect on decisions, which is disastrous.

@EdEarl I do not see it as a matter of should or should not. We have no choices in this. We have reason and we have irrational faculties. To ignore either is to our peril.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.