Agnostic.com

3 3

About Dawkins new book "Outgrowing God"

I read it stem to stern. It was OK. Pretty much the same as the god delusion and the selfish gene. He brings up some new examples but I've heard him talk about them before.

I don't know. I understand he's anti-theist and that's cool. There's a lot to be said for that position. I still lean that way myself - especially where the abrahamic beliefs are concerned. He makes a few interesting points about the Quran and Mecca quotes versus Medina (is that right?) quotes. I just don't think he's got anything else to prove. I don't believe in God and to me it's pretty simple.

If you're new to all of this then it's probably a much better book than if you're an old skeptic. I'm more down for Peter Russell and people with some hope.

JeffMesser 8 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

His books go on getting more banal as time goes by, he should have stopped a the god delusion, sadly pedaling rubbish to keep in print will impact on his legacy. Yet his earlier works were well worth while, and I have to ask, how can the God Delusion and the Selfish Gene, be the same, when one is about religion and the other evolutionary theory ?

Usual tropes from Dawkins I guess but then he has to fulfill his publishing obligations.

Lost all patience with him now. He could have moved on ten years ago but the lucrative publishing buck stops with him, not seeking out new frontiers to challenge.

I just tire of bashing the same old biblical crap. Some people are dumbasses and religion sucks. I'm more about learning WHY and HOW and some other stuff with maybe a little hope.

@JeffMesser Quite agree. It’s like tell me something new!

@JeffMesser And yet religion is flourishing . If this book is aimed at youngsters and makes them think it is doing something worthwhile.

I’ll have to check it out of the library.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:412891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.