Agnostic.com

64 3

What emotional satisfaction do you get from being an agnostic or atheist?

Religious people get a good deal of emotional satisfaction, such as feeling they have a secure answer to life's questions, that they have a loving god who will take care of them, they will have salvation & an afterlife. that they have a supportive community.

What emotional satisfaction do you get from being an agnostic or atheist? Ego satisfaction in feeling you are smarter than the dupes around you? Joy at rebelling at the oppression of your religious upbringing? Feeling you are courageous enough to live your own insight?

What else?

Remiforce 7 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

64 comments (51 - 64)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Total indifference to the possibilities. I come from a line of men dying early on....i addapted my life to fit in as much experiences as i could . Take the time to love sunsets and rise...stargaze watch some insects or animals create...sample every thing that may be edible...climb everything that will give a good veiw..try and befriend animals and birds..fish even. Try and diffuse to encourage .. i have been lucky to have possibly all my enemies numbering 3...i have made friends and had musical engagement with as many as i could. Why not? The only sad fact is i may have got my genetics wrong and have more of my mums side.. shes 80 and looks 60...she walks a few miles a week and is the oldest mobile member of her walking group... made the local papers even...so heres hoping... i must say i am surprised at how much fun my life is .. its a bit like being a teenager again but old enough to know better .

Peace of mind that my intentions are more morally sound then with religion as a guide . Also community. I also see religion as a form of RESTRICTION of free thought,
and as such, a tyranny against learning .Learning helps
progress.

None. It's a function of my character to need evidence of claims. It's just who I am.

"Trust but verify" like Kennedy said in the Cuban Missile Crisis

@Remiforce Trust has nothing to do with it. If you make a statement, I expect you to back it up with evidence. Something as simple as 'the sun will rise tomorrow morning' is implicitly backed with millions of years of historical data and studies about planetary motion so no, not trust. Acceptance of factual evicence.

I find the satisfaction momentary and fleeting.

I really miss the days when I just didn't give a shit.

Those halycon days might return if you don't take anything seriously

"This is all there is", which means I better make my best effort to BE in every moment. Great motivator for an optimist.

If "That's All There Is", like the old Peggy Lee song, we better make good use of every moment of it. We don't get a redo

None, Atheism is not a thing.

I get emotional satisfaction elsewhere.

Atheism is a thing in the sense it is a concept, though often a confused one. But it's good you get your emotional satisfaction elsewhere. Atheism can be a frigid mistress

@Remiforce Since Atheism is a LACK of belief, I fail to see how you see it as a thing, even a concept. It is my failure to accept the assertions of theism without adequate valid evidence.

So what concept are you referencing? The idea there is no God, the concept of a Godless universe?

I can't prove that either and it would be hubris to claim I could when we can't even see 1% of our Cosmos.

PLUS, and most importantly, I have yet, in 58 years, to get a good, solid, viable definition of the term "God". It always ends in a mystery beyond human understanding which human nonetheless assert to understand often because some other human told them.

I am an Ignostic

I was raised a believer
AS a believer I thought understanding God of the utmost import.
SO I studied that.
Which is why I am today an Igtheist/Ignostic

Ignosticism is an Epistomologic position; it is a set of ideas refuting the importance of determining the existence of God. It claims that knowledge regarding the reality of God is altogether unprofitable.

It is the idea that every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God and other theological concepts; including (but not limited to) concepts of faith, spirituality, heaven, hell, afterlife, damnation, salvation, sin and the soul.

IF you cannot even define what you are talking about, or consider it beyond human understanding, how is it you can claim to know anything about it and keep your intellectual integrity intact?

Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the term god has no coherent and unambiguous definition.

This is an interesting question.
Personally, I get no emotional satisfaction not believing in a god. In fact, there were times when I wished there were a god to call on for help, but even in those very trying times, I knew this would be a waste of time.
This reminds me of the old adage (or whatever) that goes something like, shouldn't you believe JUST IN CASE there is a god? But that's not how it works. If you went through the motions, it wouldn't benefit you. This supposed god would know your doubt. You can pretend but you can't really make yourself believe, can you?

It's called Pascal's wager

@Remiforce Did you ever invert that on a believer?

"What if all of Christianity is a Test like that of Job? What if God is testing the population of the planet to see who is so despicable that they would paint themselves in his own son's innocent blood to escape Justice?
What if, at the final Judgement, those covered in the innocent blood of the Lamb are condemned for lack of morals and ethics because they scapegoated his innocent child rather than accept personal responsibility as his child tried to teach?
What if you have it backwards Christian?
How could you ever know with the perfect God conducting the test?"

@Remiforce Yes, but it's ridiculous on its surface.

It seems to me you are referring to Pascal's wager. That you are better off believing in a God just in case. But it is based on 3 fundamenatal flaws. 1. Believe is a choice. 2. That you have nothing to lose by beliefing in God and finally and most importantly it is a simple abstract thought experiment that cannot allow for lifes complexities and intricacies. Like human behaviour can be boiled down to 4 options!!!!

Plus of course one has to bet on the right God!!!!!!!

Satisfaction sort of implies that others aren't satisfied. Most faiths consider their beliefs the one and only and dismiss the others. If they are satisfied then they shouldn't need to view others as 'bad' but they do. I, personally, don't believe in any type of god(s), avatar(s), or devil(s) -- I don't care about them, so I don't really care if religious people are snobby. (and that's my way of being satisfied -- still looking down my nose at others)

I don't know if being satisfied implies others are not satisfied. If we are truly satisfied, we hope otherswill be too.

You may get some satisfaction at looking down your nose at the gauchery of others, but I think the important satisfaction is believing you are on the path toward greater reality

I'm not sure I get any emotional satisfaction. Life is just as confusing now as it was when I was a Christian. The only difference is I'm more focused on this one than I used to be.

So did you think life would straighten itself out because you gave up a misguided notion of "god". To my mind, life is still complicated as hell, but at least I don't have to waste my time thinking about divine illusions. I can focus on what is without nonsensical ideas

On one hand I don't have to worry about any members of a church demanding ten percent of my earnings, I can leave that to the IRS.
One the other is not being burdened with fears of eternal damnation for doing or not condemning a long list of things that are basically hard wired into our existence or just give us pleasure.

You might spend the 10% on the things that give you pleasure

None. It's just the way that it is.

The way what is?

@Remiforce, I'm agnostic. That's what I am. Emotionally doesn't change neither for better nor for worse.

@Paddypereira Good.

I don't have to worry about going to hell for dressing up in a costume for Halloween...

On a more serious note, I just love how freeing it is to be an Atheist. As a former Xtian, we couldn't do anything or else we would "go to hell" for it. It was all a scare tactic for parenting and mind control to keep us on the "straight and narrow." Ugh, I hate even typing that because we heard it all growing up as a kid. I noticed that once I accepted myself as an Atheist, it felt like a burden was lifted. At the same time, disappointment rose. Not because of me not believing in a deity, but because I felt betrayed by the people who I loved most: my family. I especially did not like the fact that I felt like I had been lied to. I noticed this over dependence on God and that you needed permission to even be yourself. Well, under Xtianity, I had to have permission to be my true self. Nope, I will never be under such restrictions because it is horrible to be in a closet just because some sky wizard disapproves of it. So, it was quite an emotional leap of faith (the irony) to fully utter the words, "I am an Atheist" comfortably. Now, I feel at ease.

I'm glad for you. One of the deepest challenges for many is getting over the resentment that our parents, teachers, & community deceived us, even though it was unintentional & they were deceived themselves.

One of the most freeing things about becoming an agnostic or atheist is it frees you to really be yourself, to take real responsibility for your own life & do your own thinking, without worrying about Hobgoblins in the sky

It is an emotional "leap of faith" (without irony) to admit & accept, if only to yourself, you are an agnostic or atheist

After nine years of atheism’s freedom, after 52 years of agnosticism’s disinterest, after 20 years of Catholicism’s attempt to enslave me, after seven years of freedom.
BTW, having studied physics I’m free also of the Big Bang religion.

The Big Bang is a theory. Every theory is a probability, not a certainty. If we maintain the scientific attitude & don't make a religion out of science, we must accept the possibility that any theory can be wrong, even gravity

Personally I don't see agnosticism as disinterest. I see it as a scientific search for truth. A true scientist keeps an open mind, but he or she is not disinterested, they are deeply interested in finding truth

@maturin1919 Not well-established. Not scientific. Not a theory. The BB is an attempt by LeMaitre to prove Genesis using equations run backwards based on an initial thought by Edwin Hubble that he said led to anomalies he later dismissed.

@maturin1919 The All Things Astronomy group is the place for this subject. Sarcasm, besides weakening your case, isn't necessary and I will want you to commit to the site's values.

satisfaction in this context is more akin to ego and elitism....

blzjz Level 7 Oct 12, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:413043
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.