Agnostic.com

7 4

In honor of Women's History Month in the US: [theguardian.com]

Has anyone seen this?

The first time I remember hearing about Madalyn Murray O'Hair was when I was a child, possibly in the late 60s or in the early 70s. My beloved grandfather annoyedly mentioned "that woman". It wasn't until decades later that I knew who she was.

ailurophile 7 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think she had a lot to do with why atheists are perceived as angry.

I didnt recall she was murdered

She, her granddaughter, and one of her sons.

@ailurophile I am surprised that everyone on this site doesnt know about her

@btroje I wonder if it's not partially an age thing. Also, I wouldn't expect people outside of the US to know of her.

I remember hearing about her in Catholic grade school and feeling afraid

My grandfather was a devout Catholic. I loved him dearly, but we had a few differences of opinion.

I didn't know anything about her either. She really was responsible for Atheism as a movement.

Thank you for this. This is what we say we should not do but, unfortunately, the, in-you-face tactic often gets results. I will watch for it and spread the word to my many atheist friends.

You're welcome. She was so brave, or possibly foolhardy. Maybe both!

"Murray O’Hair is not widely known outside of the US" - I'm extremely disappointed in myself, but I have to admit I've never heard of her. I will be rectifying this by educating myself, and she sounds like she was great!

(What's more, from now on I'm going to be posting links to her life story every time I hear anyone say that women who receive death threats online "should just ignore it".)

Jnei Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

I have PTSD, and ADHD. I have a hard time ignoring anything, but then I get distracted...

I became aware of her in the late 60s. I remembered hearing the adults talking about her, and saying very unflattering things. I also remember when she disappeared, and so many of those tolerant "christians" crowed about it being god's retribution. I thought she was abrasive and awesome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.