Agnostic.com

7 1

I am watching another movie, called Love Simon, I didn't know that it was about coming out as a gay student. I do go to college,I see LGBTQs being accepted,its fine. I don't see the hatred and discrimination where I go. I actually, see that there's alot of pressure to straight younger men,and it feels like they (straight men) are in chain. I do think, to a bigger percentage, LGBTQs are accepted and we support them everywhere. I don't see why coming out should be an issue now,especially in Portrland Oregon. People are equal. What's your take on it? Have you watched?

Humanlove 7 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My daughter came out as bisexual a year ago ... I already knew so it was no surprise, unlike her mother who still refuses to accept it, calling it a phase. My daughter 15 started dating a guy 17 ... Who a month into their relationship came out trans (male to female) ...4 months now and my ex still won't use proper pronouns and my daughter has moved in with me simply because of the homophobic crap from her mother and stepfathers family. Her girlfriend can't come out because her parents are zealots.
I was raised by semi-religious parents and very religious extended family. Everyone talked about religion as if it were some great thing ... Never felt it. As an atheist, my ex's adultery was seen as ok because he was going to the same church.
In the end ... It doesn't matter. Love is love.

Gozer Level 4 Mar 25, 2018

I'm from a different era. When I was growing up if you were even suspected of being gay you could count on having the shit kicked out of you on a weekly basis. If you were overtly gay, make that a daily basis.The first openly gay person I met was Mike in college. He lived in Scott Hall and was known as Mary, Queen of Scott. He left school after being beaten bloody. I worked for a company for 3 years and kept my sexuality hidden. when my boss found out I was gay, I was fired in less than 2 weeks. I asked why and I was told I just don't fit in. I'm glad times are changing but here in America we are seeing the ugly last ditch efforts of biggots trying to preserve the old ways. Today, they are the ones being outed!

Not just in the US. Get a load of Lyle Shelton, the bigots' bigot in Australia.

Is it set modern day?
Even if he is going to college in Portland, it doestn't make him necessarily from Portland.
He could be from a much more conservative upbringing and this new environment gives him courage.

@icolan For that modern area that does sound strange.

Set 30/40 years ago just about anywhere or maybe a place like Liberty Baptist (Falwell U) .

If it changes one heart though, to acceptance.

OK I guess.

@icolan I think I maybe responded to the wrong post then.

I was reading something that modern day Portland would not be a big deal.

@icolan OK. That makes more sense.

Really depends on the area you live in and the person you're coming out to. For example, I live in Georgia. Of course, Atlanta and the surrounding metro Atlanta area are going to be far more accepting about me being a lesbian, then, say, the puny north Georgia town I used to live in with a population of 1000, but there are still religious people who find it appalling, even in the most liberal areas. I do think places like Portland, Oregon would be the most accepting (at least in the US), but no matter how good it gets, you still run the risk of coming across an asshole when you come out.

Being as straight as an arrow, I can't comment from the LGBTQ perspective -- but -- think about the history -- w/in the last 20-30 years a culture that was derided, ridiculed, and despised has now become accepted. There is a lot of fear still out there in the LGBTQ culture - it takes courage to admit one is "not one of the herd" - I can acknowledge that and give 'em a big thumbs up for their courage and conviction. Kinda like being a liberal in a red-neck area - it takes guts to stand up to the crowd.

I used to live in P-Town.

So you know I am.talking about.

@0752532706 Yes.

@Sarahroo29 so why did you leave PDX?

@0752532706 My mom died, so my aunt offered to help me in CO. My dad and sister live in Portland and Salem.

Varies where you live. Some areas more liberal. NH just passed some positive transgender legislation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41557
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.