Agnostic.com

78 7

SHOULD AGNOSTICS & ATHEISTS CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN?

Halloween, All Saints Eve, is basically a religious holiday that promotes belief in spirits, fostering ignorance & superstition.

Should agnostics & atheists participate in any way?

Remiforce 7 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments (76 - 78)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You should do whatever you want. Myself and I do not celebrate Halloween because to me it is just another money grabbing celebration and those little snotty monsters do not deserve one lolly or chocolate, they already get far too much as it is.

Besides, candy rots the kid's teeth, makes them fat, & eating too much of it may contribute to diabetes. Giving kids candy is child abuse

@Remiforce Yes, keep it all for yourself I say.

Time stamp 1:18:27 if it doesn't embed properly.
"I wanna ask the guy in the red suit... If you call yourself an atheist, why you wearin' a costume for Halloween then?"

Why are we celebrating a pagan holiday that was appropriated by the Xians? I thought agnostics & athiests were against ignorance & superstition. Why participate in a pagan ritual?

@Remiforce Halloween is fun. So is Christmas. Most of the things that make them fun have little to do with their religious roots, however.

Didn’t it come from Dia de Muertos? And it is a remembrance of the dead or those who have passed on. Depends on your take of what happens after we die and to what extent you’d like to celebrate the holiday...

But shouldn't we remember the dead in a less ghoulish way---celebrate their life & not fetishize the horror of their death?

@Remiforce You’d think?!? But “death” seems to make people a lot more weird. I’m not a fan of funerals and death in general. I respect it but prefer to keep my distance. I can see how this holiday got it’s beginning though. Christmas? Not so much...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.