Agnostic.com

78 7

SHOULD AGNOSTICS & ATHEISTS CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN?

Halloween, All Saints Eve, is basically a religious holiday that promotes belief in spirits, fostering ignorance & superstition.

Should agnostics & atheists participate in any way?

Remiforce 7 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I want candy" has nothing to do with any beliefs or the lack of. So, hell yeah....trick or treat?

"Trick or Treat" is extortion. Should we be training our kids to be extortionists. Perhaps there is a future awaiting them in organized crime

@Remiforce Seriously?.... Askimg for candy is sort of begging. Will kids become beggars because of Halloween too???... LMAO

Samhain, a feast for the end of the harvest and the door to winter. An actual tangible change of seasons. What's supernatural about that ?
Plus of course, knowing the dead can break through the veil for that one night......!

Tilia Level 7 Oct 22, 2019

If you believe the dead can break through the veil for one night, then you believe in souls & ghosts, which are religious concepts.

Halloween comes when most of us in the northern hemisphere feel the first chill of winter, which makes us think of the coming death of things, so we atavistically want to celebrate death in a sort of Stockholm syndrome, where we think we can protect ourselves by identifying with the oppressor.

On a psychological & sciological level, we can understand this dynamic, but we should not glorify it, as it promotes a superstitious & "religious" world view

Depends on what you mean by celebrate, i.e. In christmas, for example, I am not opposed to gift giving or family gatherings, these are part of tradition and customs now, I do not pray or say anything religious whatsoever, why should halloween be different? There's nothing religious in going to parties dressed as cowboys or doctors, nor is it giving candy to kids, is there?

As a low income introvert all the money grabbing commercial holidays annoy me. My youngest is in middle school this year and for the first year in 15 I think I'm just not playing 🙂.

MsAl Level 8 Oct 22, 2019

Since Halloween is a secular holiday, why not?

Like Christmas it is an excuse for retailers to sell useless rubbish to the gullible public.
I was really surprised in my visits to the US how seriously adults take halloween with virtually every garden full of witches,ghosts etc.
In the UK kids went "guising" carrying a "neep lantern" and that was it, but .like all things tacky "trick or treating" is being adopted here.
Bah humbug

Halloween has become a big merchandising hype for the greedy retailers to sell a lot of useless junk to the gullible public. It is right up there with Mothers Day & other synthetic holidays created by commercial interests to bilk consumers with more money than brains

@Remiforce Sadly if it wasn't for Chridtmas many retailers would go out of business. What a crazy world we live in.

Hell yes, celebrate the holiday just to have fun!

It's just another reason to celebrate. We do it at all the season changes. Religion co-opted our right to party.

The season change is celebrated in America by Thanksgiving, which origionally had religious overtones but basically is the harvest festival. Halloween has nothing to do with season change, except it comes when there is usually the first chill in the air, & people start thinking of the coming death of winter

Just go and have fun, if you will question every religious derived name, you will start having problems with the days of the week, with the months of the year, with street and city names, symbols, profession names etc.
Religion is part of the culture, and the folklore, there will always be something here and there even after the religion as a cult is dead.
So just enjoy and have fun.

If you need to calm down your antitheist core, think about the translation to portuguese where it is called witches day, and be happy in memory of the wise women that were killed because of their knowledge XD.

Except Halloween demonizes witches, who were wise women into natural healing & nature worship.Should we condone this repression of the female spirit that led to burning them at the stake?

@Remiforce Or invert it and celebrate them =)
It is the night to become one

@Pedrohbds Holloween does not give a favorable impression of witches. I have known some white witches in my time, wonderful women. Holloween represents black witches who cast evil spells & hexes, not nice women at all

@Remiforce Sorry I am to atheist to talk about spells =)

It's basically a holiday that celebrates giving away candy, scaring the snot out of little children, & lurking in the bushes with a garden hose to drench any kid that looks like he has intentions of egging or toilet papering your house. Why not join in?

It’s not just that...

Celebrate sadism--BTW, candy is fattening & rots kids teeth

@Remiforce Easter celebrates sadism. It's about a guy getting crucified, after all. On that day I watch Monty Python's The Life Of Brian as my personal tradition.

@Paul4747 Great movie

@Paul4747 Great movie

@Nikki88 Maybe not its origins, but that is what it's devolved into.

It's also a night for watching Young Frankenstein, Alien, and The Blair Witch Project. My Halloween tradition, since I live in an apartment now and have no garden hose.

Hell yeah! It's a great time to dress up in wacky costumes, drink lot's of booze, and party all night. Objectors are to be banned from the beer tap!!!

I do to some degree. Its fun, nothing more.

Regardless of what Halloween may have once been long ago, it is now a celebration of horror, There is nothing religious about it whatsoever.

So hell , yes, let's have some fun. It's a great holiday.

One of my favorite holidays! It has clear origins in pagan traditions. Plus, chocolate!

Chocolate makes it worth while

@Remiforce i thought you said candy was child abuse? you can't have it both ways! protect your teeth! if your teeth fall out you might accidentally start believing in gods!

g

You are should-ing all over us. If you have kids, sure.

Halloween started out as a religious holiday (a Celtic one), but it is now basically a secular holiday. I can't think of anyone I know who takes it seriously. I didn't even take it seriously when I was a kid.

When we were kids we enjoyed Halloween and, even though my dad was a Catholic convert, there was no mention of religion. Just like yoga has nothing to do with religion some holidays don't either.

For me it is marking the seasons. Living in the northern hemisphere halloween is about marking a harvest, saying goodbye to summer, and preparing myself for winter.

I’ve never equated Halloween as a religious holiday. It’s a time for people (mostly kids) to to dress up and have fun while collecting lots of sweets. Why would you not want to participate?

Yes. They should celebrate Halloween, because it's fun.

The most celebrated Irish holiday worldwide. @Tilia is correct.old beliefs and customs that predate xians and other religions. The changing of the seasons and remembering the dead. Lost forever is the original meaning , an echo left down the years ,the celebration of life and death.

Yes, absolutely. One of the fun festivals. Why not celebrate all the saints days individually if you want to. Raising objections to them is the same as JW!

Yes. it is a lot of fun.

MrDMC Level 7 Oct 22, 2019

It's a pagan holiday, so why not? Celebrate the good harvest and all.

Stenz Level 6 Oct 22, 2019

can't believe all the responses which such a dumb, inane question elicited.

Dumb, inane questions are the best for getting responses. If I asked an intelligent, relevant question, I doubt many would respond. Try it

If we could separate folk law ,and all its associated 'beliefs' from religion we would have made great strides in fully understanding religion and the getting of rid of it. "Tales at my mother's knee" are buried the deepest of all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.