Agnostic.com

14 16

"Just whip it out."

"It's just a coat I wear to throw the Frisbee for Bonnie (her dog)," Karen said. "I didn't know you can replace the zipper slider and pull! I cut out the zipper. A new zipper is in the pocket. "

"Can you sew in the zipper? I don't care how it looks. Don't tear out any stitches. I just want it to zip. Just whip it out."

"Just whip it out," is what artists hate to hear. I was married to an artist.

Last night after hiking, I laboriously pinned and re-pinned the zipper to set it in properly. The neck and hem must be even. Snaps must work. It must zip up easily.

By cutting out the zipper, Karen didn't give me much fabric to work with. This morning, I carefully hand-based the zipper on both sides. Some areas were so rock-hard I used pliers and a thimble to push and pull the needle. A thousand and one stitches.

With the sewing machine, sewing in the zipper was easier than I thought. Didn't think the sewing machine could handle the hard places.

It took four hours. "Just whip it out," my foot!

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought this was something to do with Blazing Saddles....

@Paul4747

I thought of "Blazing Saddles," too.

Laughed writing the headline. My dirty mind amuses me.

@LiterateHiker It amuses me too.

People tell me to get my mind out of the gutter, but where's the fun in that?

There's nothing quite so rewarding as repairing and reactivating a garment, like a coat. It protects you, it embraces you, and your repair puts new life into it. I've repaired pants, coats, shirts, etc.

Whip it good

Good job. Sometimes people don’t think through the consequences of their actions on zippers and a lot of other things.

Good job...clever girl...and great perseverance!

@Marionville

Thank you, dear. I'm nothing if not determined. With sewing, I let my perfectionist freak flag fly.

My first thought, comedy.

Dammit- ninja'd me

Why not just replace the zipper with velcro instead, much easier and quicker as well?

Btw, did you know that Velcro is BANNED in New Zealand because the sound of it scares the sheep into thinking that the farmers a wee bit randy again.....LOL.

@Triphid

On such a long coat, Velcro would never work. It would get twisted, stuck and tangled. Hard to yank apart.

A zipper is much more comfortable and easier to handle.

I have never seen a coat with Velcro closure. In America, we use buttons, snaps and zippers.

@LiterateHiker I've got a similar 'winter' jacket, I think, and I replaced the zipper with Velcro ( can't sew up clothing if my life depended on it but can sew up a deep gush on myself just as well as any surgeon can and have done more times than I care to count btw) the Velcro is attached in strips all the way along the opening at spaces of about 1-2 inches from neck to the knees. Instead of putting in a horizontal pattern I put it vertically on both sides then it grips better and doesn't twist or warp and stays closed and tight no matter what I'm doing.

@Triphid

How did you attach the Velcro? I sew it on.

@LiterateHiker Superglue, it works great too.

My late girlfriend could do this also,until her hands refused to co-operate😐

Oh come on... old age, poor eyesight, arthriticy fingers, .....
Just kidding! <maybe>
👌😆

@bigpawbullets

For sewing, I wear a hiking headlamp to illuminate the stitches.

@LiterateHiker
We'll need of picture of this. 😆

@bigpawbullets

@LiterateHiker
You're not sewing a zipper on a coat!!!!!!!

@bigpawbullets

Just pulling your leg.

Hey, that’s a very misleading headline. I sat down to read this post and it is about a coat. ☹️🤣

@Sierra4

I thought the same thing. My mind runs in the gutter.

Nice coat

Nice save

Yes, people have no clue how much work is involved. Great job there Kathleen, you are lucky to be friends.

Well! Someone had fun with those directions...starting with the title....

Excellent job sweety

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 24, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:417815
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.