Agnostic.com

11 2

LINK The Obesity Era

As the American people got fatter, so did marmosets, vervet monkeys and mice. The problem may be bigger than any of us.

Tomfoolery33 9 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have my first grade class picture from 1954. there is one chubby kid and the rest of us were rail thin. I had one really overweight teacher in my entire twelve years of public education. In high school we had roughly twelve to thirteen hundred students and there were a hand full of really overweight students. I can't think of any overweight neighbors. It has definitely changed.

No doubt.

Fred was the only chubby kid in our class 1-9 grades. Today, he'd be considered normal. There might have been one other "fat" kid in high school. We were the class of 1967 so most of us were born in 1949.

Compare group pictures from the 1960's with the same type of pictures today. We are all fatter today and the food has more calories today also. Part of this is to doctor junk food so that our taste buds will love it. This is what happens when people want more profit and use cheaper ingredients.

All I can state:

Remarkably well written!!

I have read this Obesity Era acticle twice now!

Wether you agree or disagree this article explains so much about how our lives are so very intertwined with the profits of the wealthy, their corporations, and their planned indenturment of past, present and future generations too come!

We are so conditioned to behave like ful size lab rats in an ever enlarging preplanned maze designed to entrap, not enlighten or free us!

Were Skinner's methods just a repose to calm the educated fall in line followers?

Welcome to the enigma!!!

Neither obesity nor anorexia are healthy , but the culture we live in , seems to push both . Took in a friend , who was going through a divorce . Apparently she didn't eat . Met a friend of a neighbor , recently , who eats one meal a day . I'm diabetic , with a kidney problem . and try to stear clear of both sugar and salt . which isn't easy . Advertisers , not only want to sell more frequent meals , but larger ones as well . I remember when a standard drink was 8 ounces . Today , the ," small ," size drink is 16 oz , double whar was normal , and the large drink is 32 oz , a whopping four times the previous standard drink size . Not only are the sugary drinks bad for you , but the sugar free . diet drinks are making you fat as well . Basically , it's next to impossible to maintain a healthy diet , even if you're working out in the gym routinely .

Do they have Weight Watchers for monkeys and mice?

Very interesting article. Like addiction, obesity goes far beyond sheer willpower, basic decision making, or morality. It appears this is one more way that corporations and our government is killing us.

One scenario that is not talked about.

50+ years ago most lived a rural life. No shoes for most of the time.

A body infested with worms and parasites cannot accumulate extra fat.

Now I'm not suggesting everyone go get a truck stop egg salad sandwich.

Just saying.......

I recoiled at these photos.

"This Photographer Wants To Capture The Beauty Of Fat Bodies."

[huffingtonpost.ca]

I hope it wasn't the people you recoiled at but the difficulty fat people go through because of our biased society. If the article from this post is at all correct, obesity is not just about making choices or having willpower.

Interesting views on obesity. There’s a lot to ruminate on.

Excellent. The role of capitalism is nicely summarized, and spot-on. Our collective ill-health, of which obesity is just one aspect, is a textbook example of an externality. The only counter to this is the government. So here in the US, where the government is owned by private interests, we are doomed unless something changes. To get a real-world idea of how bad it is, go to the local Wal Mart and look at people. Not body shaming, but concerned for the obvious ill-health. Versus 50 years ago, it is as if a new species has evolved. Ameicannus Waddluss.

Perfectly good food gets thrown out all the time.....feeding the animals, insects, whatever.

It seems to be more than that, though.

@Tomfoolery33 Oh it is. I was just mentioning one thing I thought of.

@Lilac-Jade Yep. One of many.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:417817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.