Agnostic.com

26 11

How do you deal with unwanted advances?

If this photo doesn't encapsulate the "Me, Too" movement, I don't know what does.

At age 25, I directed programs for 2,000 disabled people at the Tacoma YMCA. Recruited and trained 300 volunteers needed each week. We had Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients getting physical therapy in the cold pool. Arthritis patients had therapy in the hot whirlpool. And 1,600 disabled schoolchildren had weekly swimming lessons in the big pool

At the Univ. of Puget Sound, I arranged college credit for physical therapy students to give therapy in the pools with supervision.

I just got out of the pool after teaching adorable deaf preschoolers to swim. For modesty in a wet swimsuit, I pulled on running shorts and draped a towel over my chest. Look at my eyes.

The large man looming over me was the son of a wheelchair-bound woman with MS who was receiving therapy. His eyes constantly followed me. For heaven's sake, I was working!

Since age 15 when I developed breasts, men have grabbed me, kissed me against my will, stalked, tried to rape me, propositioned me, sexually assaulted and catcalled.

It's scary.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Get a dog! 🐺

@Atheist3

No way. I don't want the responsibility of a dog.

No doubt you jest, or you have little awareness of the problem.

@LiterateHiker Fair enough, however the return on your investment will be well rewarded. 🐶

@GROG Or a gun! 😉

@GROG

I don't want the mess or responsibility of a dog. I deliberately chose a triplex where pets and smoking are not allowed. Perfect. No constant barking or smelly poop.

While hiking and snowshoeing, I have been attacked and injured by eight unleashed dogs. None of the dog owners apologized or controlled their dogs. It took six months for my knee to heal after one dog attack.

Now I feel terrified of strange dogs. In my hiking group, 2/3 of the women bring their dogs. That's fine with me, as long as the dogs don't go after my lunch. It drives me nuts. All I have to do is take out a plastic bag and the dogs are on me, thinking I will give them treats. Get out of my face! I'm trying to eat!

I grew up with two, well-trained, obedient Labrador Retrievers. Our dog, Lady, won the Michigan State Dog Obedience Championship twice. Two trophies. My mother trained them. As a result, I have high standards for dog behavior.

I feel appalled by dog owners who don't train or control their dogs. None of the women pick up their dog's poop while hiking. Disgusting.

In Kirkland, WA, park officials struggle with 6,000 pounds of dog poop in city parks each day.

[kirklandwa.gov]

@LiterateHiker Kathleen, my remark about jesting was in response to Atheist3's inane suggestion.

@GROG

That was a mean thing to say. I have little awareness of WHAT problem?

@Atheist3

I will never buy a gun.

@LiterateHiker Kathleen, this has become a messy string of comments. When I responded to Atheist3 I was chastising him for being so flippant about sexual predators by suggesting that you get a dog. An inane suggestion just like so many others; get a gun, wear an engagement ring... Stupidity abounds. GROG

@GROG

Agreed. Thank you.

@GROG An astute observation. 🙄

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419405
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.