Agnostic.com

14 7

Your thoughts on this: I would like to start a 'campaign' to change "In God We Trust" to "E Pluribus Unum" on our paper money. Now to facilitate this in kind of a sneaky way, I want to print up a bunch of stickers with E Pluribus Unum that can be taped directly on top of the In god we trust on the bills. Printed in money green (perhaps a little brighter green). What do you all think of this idea? I don't think the expense would be to great since they would be pretty small stickers.
"Activists" Group

RobCampbell 7 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sharpie Pens like this work well to write on bills. They come in different colors.

A black permanent marker works well to simply redact "God" from bills.

You can use a small knife blade to very gently scrap the offensive "In God We Trust" off.

I would buy some from you.

Why you are interested on a Latin phrase on the currency of a non Latin speaking country? Latin no longer carry the same panache once did.

[facebook.com]
this is an e pluribus unum--bring it back facebook group.

Joined and promoted on my FB page!

There is a marker that is use to show its a genuine bill which leaves a black mark, usually on $50 &$100 denominations....no rule on where you mark...just sayin.

Been stamping my money for several months now. Several in out group do this.

BillF Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

Been writing political and Atheist quips on dollars for some 8 years.

Just an FYI. Believe it or not, defacing currency is a federal offense. However, as you probably already know, it may be difficult to trace the source of the “defacer” and the federal prosecutor must prove that it was done “with the intent to render the currency unfit to be reissued”. See 18 U.S.C. 333 (United States Code) Punishable by fine and/or imprisonment for no more than 6 months.

@Markus PLEASE let them sue/arrest me for defacing the dollar bill!! We need the publicity!

@RobCampbell I hear you!

I could use the vacation.

Wish we could do the same here and erase the dreaded "The country is blessed because the lord is our god" sentence printed in our bills but in my country, tampering with the currency can get you in trouble with the law if I'm not mistaken, not sure with USA tho'. Good luck.

@clim995 as @Markus mentioned. It is actually a felony here in the states, but they would never be able to 'prove' that the intent was to render it useless.

You can buy many ink stamps with different types of secular sayings that you can just stamp over the "In God We Trust" and it is perfectly legal. I personally use a Sharpie to replace "In" with "No" and "We" with "To" which becomes "No God To Trust" or just "No God We Trust".

@jlynn37 I like that too. But I want to make this a campaign to bring back From Many, One.

@RobCampbell Campaigns for that purpose have been ongoing for years with some heavy hitters in the A-theist movement. None have been successful. I do wish you success. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It's probably fine, but I'd double check on the legality aspect. Something like that would raise alot of hackles, best not to give them an easy angle.

@MadFawks PLEASE let them sue or arrest me for defacing a dollar bill!! I would welcome that challenge!

Considering how that's the way they were before they were changed back in the '50s, it's a "perfect" idea.

Good idea, however I ALWAYS erase, with permanent marker the "god" on my paper money. Coins are very difficult to conceal the word.

not a bad idea.

@sassygirl Hey here is the skinny on that lawsuit you mentioned in another post. Just as I expected judges are too good at finding ways to avoid making an unpopular decision:

In reference to lawsuit initiated by FFRF against In God We Trust engraving on Capital visitor center:

Plaintiffs assert that they have standing to challenge the constitutionality of the
resolution based solely on their status as federal taxpayers and, in the case of FFRF, as an
organization representing members who are federal taxpayers.1 (1st Am. Compl., dkt. #13,
¶ 6.) For the reasons explained below, none of FFRF’s members have taxpayer standing on
their own, including the individual plaintiffs, with respect to the claim sought. Case is dismissed.

sorry it was dismissed.

@sassygirl3869 It's going to take a popular movement in addition to a lawsuit initiated in a sympathetic judges court to get a change - maybe in about 20 yrs....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42099
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.