Agnostic.com

29 9

Have you ever found a religious person that was genuinely interested in hearing what you had to say from an atheist perspective? I've found that if you tell people that you're an agnostic, they may engage you in conversation in an effort to illustrate to you that their god is real, but if you're an atheist, they're more likely to berate you or simply refuse to listen to your opinion.

Philosopearl 6 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never truly interested in what I have to say, just simply accepting of my position. Sometimes I notices an uneasiness following the shocking revelation, but most people around here are live and let live for the most part. Though I've seen my fair share of passive aggressiveness from them, and just throwing out offhand statements like how many atheists they seem to meet are "assholes". I don't get offended by the criticism of ideas, and I generally just tell them that no opinion or idead is outside the realm of scrutiny.

I have, but he became a non-believer shortly after our chat.
I suspect that chatting with me was reassurance to what he was already thinking, that he was already beginning to doubt what he had been told.

There have been a few others that have asked a few questions, but they were mostly so that they could argue, not actually discuss anything in a civilized manner.

Yes, I have a dear friend who is religous Christian and very involved in her church and she is exceptionally able to share/allow me to share our perspectives. I have another Christian friend who I would share with but she's simply more of a doer than a discusser of deep, philosophical things. Jewish friends simply accept and are open to in-depth sharing because I find Jews range from non-religious to orthodox. I'd be curious to know how other religions view non-believers. My muslim friends think me so kind but have language barriers so I don't think they can really grasp my non-religious views. The friends I've had that were Buddhist are, naturally, open to non-believers. Great question, philosopearl

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.