Agnostic.com

29 3

How to explain what an atheist is to children?

How do I explain that I am an atheist to my 10 year old and 6 year old nieces? Keep in mind they believe in god and and talked their parents into taking them to church.

TimothyDeHoff 5 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So your children have been peer pressured into church by their peers, and you have in turn been pressured by your children?

Have they asked you about it? If they do, I would tell them that I don't believe in gods or goddess, and that there are lots of different beliefs in the world, and leave it at that. If they aren't your kids, you shouldn't bring it up. It would be like a Christian auntie, talking to your atheist kids about being Christian. Atheists don't appreciate being prosylitized to, and neither do Christian families. It is their business. Who knows what they will believe when they are grown. Being religious or atheist is a personal choice.

I don't think I would try and explain Atheism to a child. It's better to teach a child how to think rationally and critically. Let the child him/herself decide for themselves what their beliefs are going to be. Indoctrination is something I think should be avoided at all cost. Kids grow up believing what their parents believe, and that's a real problem if what their parents believe is wrong.

Tooth fairies boy ishtar bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns alleged vaginal virgins birthing alleged baby gods in dirty donkey stables Halloween costumes leprechaun teasing us with invisible gold....church is like stupid kids TV all fake

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.