Agnostic.com

16 2

Religious anonymous??

If you prove all the other sects who believe in god or God wrong as you do as a Mormon, then after years of belief you see inconsistencies that show your sect/belief is wrong, HOW DO THE AWAKENED FIND RELIGION ANONYMOUS GUIDANCE?? Do we have a 12 step plan like Alcohol Anonymous (AA)??

Mormons say your faith died now your in the resurrection building the cause of Zion with callings/duties/assignments to feel a part of whatever made you stay with the whole god cooperative construct for all those years.

Shoulderwarmer 5 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been told there are numerous ex-Mormon support groups in various formats. Check around online and in your area. You may be able to find one.

How does one deal with the profound sense of loss? Check out the 5 stages of grieve & loss by Kubler-Ross. No rap intended. 🙂

Yes, there is a 12-Step program to free one's self from a dependence on religion but it doesn't work because one of the steps is to acknowledge that there's a God and beseech him for the strength to succeed.

Considering that the hardest part for chemically dependent addicts is psychological addiction, and religion does in some way seem to create a psychological dependence, It would seem that perhaps development of a program to help people get past that might be beneficial.

The difference being that once a person leaves religion (loses faith), it is rare for them to go back (relapse). It is a matter of just learning (better) in most cases.

The one "positive" aspect that religions provide is a sense ob belonging and community. As animals we evolved and still have instincts, one of which was to gather into groups for safety. Religion fulfills whatever part of that animal instinct which is left in us, by giving us a place to belong and a community to which we belong. Belonging generally gives humans a sense of well being. If a person can fulfill those instinctual needs outisde of religion, then they will more easily be able to over come their psychological dependence.

I recommend meetup.com groups. There are atheist oriented groups, but I like to go to groups that focus on day hikes, or meet for happy hour or beer tasting.

The freedom from religion organization has support for newly converted non-believers. I don't know much about as ive been free for a long time. But new converts should check it out

Cinco Level 5 Nov 4, 2019

You can look at it this way. It is rather like an election with no incumbents. You watch all the primaries and see them all slagging each other off as incompetent, misguided, corrupt or a combination of all three. As it happens you pick one candidate to vote for but find out later that they are a lying scumbag too. Now here is the difference, unlike the vote you cast, you can un-support that choice and say "None of the above". Keep your skepticism about all the others and just include one more.

EVERY religion, from the beginning of time, says all other religions are wrong/evil............get over it!

As a former Mormon you were brainwashed ...I’d love to know what proof they showed you in support of Mormonism being true and the other sects/religions being wrong! Whatever Mormons say is untrue, the whole religion is a sham, so you need to try to stop giving any of it any credence whatsoever. All religions are basically the same, they are in the business of stopping people thinking critically for themselves. You are on the first steps out of regime of total mind control on a journey to reason and enlightenment. You are already thinking for yourself by questioning Mormon dogma, just keep doing this and you will see that you are free to believe what you want, you are the master of your own destiny, no need to bow to anyone else’s ideas of what you should think or do. @Paul4747 has posted a link to a group which may help bolster your self confidence, and we are all here to help you discuss anything too.

Total crap

Everything they told you was bullshit.

Motivated by your question, I went looking for atheist support networks on the internet. It was a little depressing, but I did find this resource guide for atheists recovering from religion: [recoveringfromreligion.org]

And have you considered looking for atheist groups on Meetups?

There is one for clergy I think, and several cult escape support groups, but not one for lay members of the mainstream churches. Though I suspect that the cult escapes support groups would be sympathetic.

I read that the Cult Awareness Network were sued out of business by the Scientologists... 😟

If there were an AA type group for the formerly religious, what would your higher power be?

Reddy Kilowatt.😉

I think there is need for a Religion Anonymous (R.A.) movement. Some people awaken from severe religious brainwashing & need a support group to help them deprogram

I would be willing to help.

Another member, @vjohnson51, had a great post earlier today.

[agnostic.com]

You may find it helpful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422082
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.