Agnostic.com

9 10

White nationalists caught trying to record video in front of Emmett Till memorial.

Look at the rats scurry away!

The Emmett Till Memorial Commission executive director said the group, carrying a neo-Confederate flag, appeared to be making a propaganda video.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Filthy cowards,😠

This is exactly the attention they crave

They have been emboldened by trump

Surprised he's not defending their actions right now!

What a bunch of sad old white guys who feel their god given entitlement to act superior has been stripped away! It reminds me very much of the Protestants here in Northern Ireland who believe that if the nationalist Catholics get parity of esteem with them it somehow takes away from their identity of being top dogs! These guys need to feel there is another group below them that are of inferior status in order to make them feel important! It’s racism, it’s bigotry and it needs to be called out and stamped on...HARD!

They always have been

Tribalism at its worst!

Race is just another technology, like cell phones, or taxes. This concept is overwhelmingly supported by science, both directly through genetics and indirectly through archeology. Explaining this to anyone xenophobic is sure way to generate confusion.

One of the defining traits of our species is a social nature...which equates to tribalism. There is no scientific proof of ''race." It's a social construct, designed to support our tribalism. We all originated from one family and we're still one family.

@LucyLoohoo Well put, our "differences" in the end are all tribal. Yjis has been going on for thousands of years and will continue until everybody realizes that we are all the same except for cosmetics.

You can always tell them if you do not like the situation your ancestors created then get back on the boat and go back to where your ancestors are from,a little reality to them

Master race, if only they'd look at themselves in a mirror! We are all human beings regardless of physical differences or what pretend overlord in the sky that tells some people what to do. Maybe one day the human part will prevail over silly ideas.

Neo-confederate flag - always a laugh, as these are the assholes who wear around the battle flag of Northern Virginia with a "it's heritage, you wouldn't understand" tee shirts, and when I ask them "heritage" questions they (so far all, including a nephew) get incorrect most. Simple questions like: which is the Stars and bars? Or, why are there 13 stars? My Great Grandfather, on my Mother's side, fought in that war. He was a traitor and served under Lee. I'm glad he didn't die; and feel better that the family owned no slaves; but, mostly, glad they lost.

Interesting, isn't it? My daughter (the geneologist) lives in the South, where my father's people settled in the 1600s. She's found fascinating records of the family...some were abolitionists, a very few owned slaves, most were just poor, subsistence farmers. A few were killed while serving in the Confederate army. Some of those disappeared at Antietam, lost in the smoke of that battle and never seen again.
I can't call them ''traitors,'' because they fought for a concept of ''country" and ''honor.''

I know that we can't judge them by today's standards and I know that we'd be mistaken to feel in any way superior to them, simply because we live in very different times, with different technologies, scientific understandings and education.

(Well...MOST of us, anyhow! The bastards desecrating Emmet Till's grave are a lot more primitive.)

Other white people who see this stuff and do nothing about about it, are every bit as guilty as the ones who engage in this behavior.
Living in the South, I can say that most of us know people who believe in this bullshit.
Too many people stay silent when confronted with it.
Too many people are afraid of the repercussions.
I think we should be making the nationalists afraid of holding these positions.

Start shooting these assholes on sight, and they'll start being less bold about demonstrating their ignorance.
Yeah, yeah, I know. That's "illegal".

@Sealybobo I didn't say you "should" have said anything.
I was specifically speaking about people who live down here and know others
who believe in that bullshit.
I was pretty clear about that.

I heard as much of that word when I lived up north. Generally I say nothing, or I might make a mild objection. That is because I know there is way more to the person that is good and kind, and that words are often shallow and mean little.

IF I see actual harm or abuse I’ll consider shooting.

@WilliamFleming That's just it, though. Words DO matter.
If no one believed that before 2016, they sure ought to believe it now.
Allowing people to use racists speech emboldens them to move from just
talking about it, to actually taking action in support of their racism.

I grew up in NJ. I heard that word all the time, and from my family.
I started calling them out on it as soon as I realized what it meant, and
that they were racists.
Another reason I left home at a really early age.

@KKGator You can call out your family without fear of being beat to a bloody pulp. A couple days ago I was talking with a neighbor and he made a mildly racist remark. It had happened before about ten years ago. At that time I was not going to have anything more to do with him until I learned that he is much loved by the Blacks in our neighborhood. He talks to them and gives them stuff—even money for beer.

The guy weighs about 250 lbs and can ride up a hill on his bicycle in high gear. I don’t think I’ll be getting onto his ass about a few words. You’re not that far away. You come give him a lecture.

@WilliamFleming Excuses, excuses. Everyone has them. If it makes keeping your mouth shut more comfortable for you, have at it.

@KKGator If I made a harsh verbal attack on the guy we might become enemies, and that would be a bad thing in such a small community. I would lose whatever influence I have with him. Best to just set an example and maintain good relations. After all, he already knows my opinion.

I like Dr. King’s advice:

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

@WilliamFleming You do you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422234
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.