Agnostic.com

9 1

Christians argue that the founding fathers had Christ in mind while designing the constitution etc. I don't believe this as they never talked much about it. Thoughts?

JonClodVonGo 3 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many were Deists, kinda precursor to atheism, and many explicitly warned against the mixing of religion and politics.

I think you are right. Seems to me they wanted the individual to make their minds up. You know, desperation of church and state.

Once one actually reads the Constitution (I have a copy on my desk), they will find that the Constition does not have any referance to God or religion other than the 1st Amendment. None...zero (except for: "The only reference to religion, found in Article VI, is a negative one: “[N]o religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.&rdquo😉. Dipshit believers will frequently state something to effect that "...God's hand is all over the Constitution...". That is just rehtoric stated in church by people who have not actually read the Constition.

Read this lovely essay on the topic on the FFRF site (it earned the writer a $1K prize in a contest): [ffrf.org]

I'm still trying to figure out just which mean old King it was that would not let our early settlers practice their religion. That's how they tell the story, so they came to America and started our Christian Nation. WRONG! Believers keep wanting to re-write history.

Most were Deists rather than Theists, while they may have believed in A god, they didn't think he intervened in any way. Thomas Payne was most likely an athiest and despite what he my have said in public B. Franklin was probably agnostic or athiest. So No the Constitution isn't based on Christianity.

I don't think the Constitution mentions Christianity or Christian or Christ so where on earth do they get that from?

The Founding Fathers were at best, Deists. There is a reason you do not find the mention of Christ in the Declaration of Independence or The Constitution. They wanted to eliminate a state sponsored religion. Freedom from religion is just as important as freedom of religion. The Japanese got it right!

Apparently it is hard to tell the New Apostolic Reformation this, but you have it right.

They are clearly delusional if they believe that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.