Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK A Guide To Bad Faith Arguments Against Bernie Sanders

"Before Senator Bernie Sanders announced he would run as a Democratic candidate for president in 2020, the establishment media was already previewing arguments that would be spread to suggest Sanders was still “unelectable.”

Jonathan Cohn articulated it best in an article for In These Times. “It is important to remember so-called electability is no more a science than astrology. Indeed, it is often little more than calcified prejudice.”

“Candidates up and down the ballot routinely disprove the notion that only white or male or centrist candidates can win a competitive election. And they do so by inspiring everyday people to put blood, sweat and tears (and money) into their campaigns,” Cohn wrote. So, when weighing which presidential candidate to back in the Democratic primary, voters should dispense with a definition of “electability” that relies on gaming out what other voters will do.”

All too often media commentators, political strategists, and individuals with past histories working on presidential campaigns seek to manipulate voters into behaving like managers of democracy.

Citizens are not managers of democracy. They do not need to concern themselves with political strategy and cynical concepts like “electability.” To the extent that voting actually matters, a citizen’s job should be to vote their conscience.

There are many arguments against Sanders — several which existed in some form back in 2016 election and were dusted off for 2020.

Most of the arguments against Sanders have origins rooted in bad faith. They depend upon some calcified prejudice held by the individuals or groups advancing these arguments.

The following is a guide to the many bad faith arguments that dominate much of the political discussion around Bernie Sanders’ campaign in the press."

WilliamCharles 8 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

According to this browser extension : [newsguardtech.com]

This website is a platform that publishes content from its users that it does not vet. Information from this source may not be reliable.
A self-publishing platform that features the work of bloggers and writers on a wide range of topics, including politics, culture, and business.

It's largely an opinion piece, no?

Here's some of the ways the so-called credible news outlets operate. Sometimes it is troubling that "regular" news outlets fail to cover this stuff.

[informationclearinghouse.info]

@WilliamCharles I am in favor of whistleblowers, but who is funding informationclearinghouse (I realize it is a one-man outfit) and who is fact-checking the journalism ? Who better to do so than other journalists (NewsGuard). There is also this :

[mediabiasfactcheck.com]

@FearlessFly

Jeff Bezos of the Washington Post has a contract with the CIA. If I'm not mistaken, the NYT recently listed the right wing website Breitbart as a credible source for reporting.

I use these sites, and many more, as initial sources to look up more information on stories that are otherwise being ignored. Even Breitbart.

@WilliamCharles I advocate checking out the NewsGuard full report on Breitbart (some good, some really-not-good)

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424837
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.