Agnostic.com

7 6

QUESTION In The U.K., 70% Of Young People Identify As Having No Religion - The Intellectualist

I only wish the numbers were that high here in the U.S.

snytiger6 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why do you think that would be? I'm interested because there must be a lot of factors that make people religious and another lot of factors that promote irreligiousness- Seriously not being modest, ,'my brain hurts' and I can't even begin to imagine what causes and effects are at work.

In a post elsewhere on the site someone said that some European countries allow religions to deduct tithes directly from a member's paycheck. I am not sure if tht is so in the UK,but it would explain the high numbers, as it would cause people to leave religion in droves. It may also be high simply because they only asked youth. This is a single study. So it could also be an "outlier" study with results outside the norm. I hope it is accurate, but my education wont' let me take it for granted as being unquestionably correct.

Yup, being a Brit myself I can confirm this. Growing up religion was something that 'immigrants and old people did'. I can recall meeting exactly TWO proclaimed Christian children/teenagers. They didn't like me, apparently "I had bad luck because I didn't believe in god". Considering they were stupid and generally unappealing in all other respects as well I didn't 't particularly care ?

Nomad Level 6 Mar 24, 2018

Glad to hear it looks accurate to someone who lives there. More than one response questions the high numbers, and I though perhaps it was an outlier study. I feel better now.

Read a similar article recently and they attribute it to immigration. Muslim believers incrasing as well.

Yup, this is true. The native population is almost entirely secular. Of the realitvly small number of Christians left in the country most are either old or African immigrants. Immigration is the main driver for the increasing rates of Islam in the UK. With all other religions in decline, and Islam on the rise, it is possible that Islam will become the most common religion in Britain, although the vast majority of the population will remain secular.

If you think that some of the religious people are bad while facing the scare tactics of religion, how will they behave if the scare tactics are removed?

I don't think that scare tactics really work. Atheists are grossly under represented in prisons, which means religious persons do more wrongs despite the scare tactics. So, I don't think it will make any difference at all... but there is a chance that as atheists produce fewer criminals, then as atheism becomes more common, there may be fewer people doing bad things in general.

Take heart! The numbers are growing here, as well.
Maybe not as fast, but, they're growing, nonetheless.

I did post a second article of how atheism is also growing in the U.S.

With higher numbers, would there be other problems?

On a per capita basis, atheists are grossly under represented in prisons. Criminals are much more likely to be religious. So, I expect things will at worst remain the same. It is however also possible that people in general will moderate do fewer bad things as atheism grows. That is if current statistic are an indicator of future behaviors.

Careful what you wish for!

Imagine if all believers ditched religion and became SJW's...... End of America.

Not likely.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.