Agnostic.com

5 18

Got a Republican to see the wonderful movie about Harriet Tubman.

"What about black-on-black violence?" my hairstylist, Kami, asked, a racist question. Two years ago, after having a terrible argument in front of her teens about the Confederate flag on her garage ceiling (boy cave), the flag was gone two weeks later.

Kami had offered to take me to see a movie for my birthday. My choice. We met to see "Harriet" this afternoon, although I saw it two weeks ago. "Harriet" trailer:

[video.search.yahoo.com]

"Wasn't that inspiring?" I asked Kami after the movie. She agreed. "I didn't know about anything about this." Before parting, I handed her an article from The Root:

[theroot.com]

We decided to see the "Little Women" movie on Thanksgiving weekend. "I never read it," she laughed. "I was too busy on my dirt bike to read that shit."

"Gotta educate you a little bit," I called. "Just a little bit!" she laughed.

It was better than arguing. One small step at a time.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only parts I didn't like about Harriet is that they tried to make her look like she was guided by god, like she had visions that god gave hervto protect her, and they show this as fact.

@Mofo1953

That was from her cracked skull.

"The most severe injury occurred when Tubman was an adolescent. Sent to a dry-goods store for supplies, she encountered a slave who had left the fields without permission. The man’s overseer demanded that Tubman help restrain the runaway. When Tubman refused, the overseer threw a two-pound weight that struck her in the head.

"Tubman endured seizures, severe headaches and narcoleptic episodes for the rest of her life. She also experienced intense dream states, which she classified as religious experiences.

"She underwent brain surgery at Boston’s Massachusetts General Hospital to alleviate the pains and "buzzing" she experienced regularly."

[biography.com]

@LiterateHiker yes, they also mentioned that in the movie, yet they portray it as a fact that she was correctly guided by god.

@Mofo1953

As an atheist, the movie didn't threaten me. Harriet Tubman believed she heard a God's messages. It was her belief, not portrayed as true.

The black man in Pittsburg who wrote down Tubman's new name, history and injuries as a slave wrote: "possible brain damage."

"That's her way," her brothers said when Harriet sat swaying in a trance.

@LiterateHiker didn't threaten me either, i was clear in saying that the only part of the movie i didn't like was that all her visions and trances resulted in her avoiding capture of the people she smuggled, no failures, her choices were always good, go left, go right, not that way, cross the lake without knowing how to swim, that's what I mean when i say shown as factual. Anyway, overall I liked the movie just those parts seemed hokey to me.

Did they point out in the movie that the people involved in helping the runaway slaves following the Underground Railroad were Republicans, and the people hunting down the runaway slaves were Democrats?

BD66 Level 8 Nov 18, 2019

@BD66

That was in the 1860s. Democrats and Republicans did not resemble the political parties we have now.

It's good to educate. Better to learn to think critically. Help her question almost everything. She may well put the stars and bars back up, but if she does, she'll hopefully have good reason, and not just because she's rebelling.
It's a shame we don't have a recognised 'humanity' flag to fly around the world. In the end flags divide us as a whole whilst uniting small groups against the rest.
Give a copy of Marx & Engels Communist Manifesto to her, then quiz her on what she thinks the meaning of their observations were back in 1848. As her mind expands, introduce C Wright Mills Sociological Imagination and then works of Goerg Simmel... It may take a couple of years, but she will then be spreading the word while doing peoples hair. Imagine a future where conversation can include debate about the human condition and society and not just soaps or X-Factor at the hair dressers. Then the male orientated world may finally crumble and in a century none will remember the disparity of genders we and you Americans take for granted. Of course Fox and Fiends will have to go....

Good for you, though this is sadly illustrative of the level of ignorance common in Amerika.

Good for you to help enlighten her ,Hope it helps with attitude and she tells more people about it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:427927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.