Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Chiropractors are bullshit | The Outline

I have never visited a chiropractor, though I have some family members that swear by them.

HippieChick58 9 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is not possible to "manipulate one's spine." And if it were possible, would you want someone to manipulate your spine? Think about it. Some chiropractors work like physiotherapists. The proper diagnosis and the proper exercises can stretch and strengthen muscles and can thus alleviate pain. But if someone tells you he/she is going to "manipulate your spine," and you are going to let them, well, you might want to study a little physiology.

Ok...if you can clearly see a vertebra out of place on an x-ray & the chiropractor puts it back into its proper alignment - which you can again clearly see on an x-ray - then he/she just manipulated your spine.

@Nunya Well, that took a while. I am fine with a chiropractor manipulating your vertabrae. Mine are staying where they are. Exercise seems to solve my problems without accidentally creating paralysis. Oops. Really sorry about that. Vertabrae are not Lego. I am not a jigsaw puzzle. My spinal chord is alarmingly close to my vertabrae. I don't care what your x-ray shows.

@ogator Well that's what personal prerogative is all about. I'm just pointing out that it is indeed possible to manipulate a spine.

I really had no idea that most of the freethinking community thinks chiropractors are quacks. While I don't believe everything they claim that spinal manipulations can help with I experienced very real relief from a chiropractor. I had fallen on my tailbone while ice skating and the next morning I couldn't walk and my legs had no strength. Doctors at the clinic wanted to do invasive tests on my spine, I was so frightened, my dad said we should try his chiropractor before we go back. I was carried in to the office and walked out, I'm guessing I had one of the only problems that chiropractic care is actually beneficial for. I really feel like in my situation chiropractic manipulations really helped me regain the strength in my legs almost instantly. I had no idea people were getting injured by chiropractors from the neck cracking they do, I'm glad I didn't keep up with the "preventive care" they all recommend.

Even after the stroke they caused, I might visit one for Lower back help, regular medicine offers little for that. But I prefer acupuncture, I have a good one. One of the reasons I know she is good, besides the obvious relief is, she tells you, "I can help in [# of visits] or you will have to see a regular doctor"

My brain stem stroke in 1987 was a direct result of chiropractic manipulation, only 8 visits, ever, and he continued snapping my neck after I complained it was making things worse. Aaand we lost the lawsuit, aaaand, 40 years later, i still have residual effects, but, lucky to be alive!
No neurologist will recommend snapping the neck! Just Google how tightly important things (like the blood supply to your brain!) are packed in there, between the vertebra.

My experience has kept me from neck surgery. At 38 an orthopedist looked at my neck x-rays and said "you have the neck of a 60 year old, by the time you are 60 you will need surgery". I almost cried. I had had neck problems since I was 19 when I was thrown off a horse, I had a minor concussion. I had no range of motion, pain and hunched over like Quasimoto. My girl friend took me to her chiropractor, he took more x-rays and after about a week I could stand up straight with minor discomfort. Over the course of 6 weeks range of motion got up to 80%, pain free and standing up straight for long periods of time without fatigue was back to normal.
Everyone is different but if a doctor is not listening to me I go to another doctor.

@altschmerz the injured (left)vertibular artery formed a clot, the bits of clot broke off and traveled around for 3 days after the last visit, so the defense said there was no direct link, even though I was seeing double, etc etc. I am Very lucky to be alive & fairly normal (stfu!)

I visited a chiropractor once, out of desperation. After his "work" I was admitted to the hospital the next day for the same problem.

I have been to a physical therapist/chiropractor and my father's best friend was a chiropractor. Like every other profession there are good ones and there are not so good ones.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.