Agnostic.com

9 4

What made you change from believer to non-believer?

For those of you that were devoutly following & committed to your faith as an adult, what fact, experience, or thought, etc. started you on the path away from your faith?
For me, a dramatic mind shift had to occur first, including questioning many of my assumptions. And that took me over a decade to process because my psyche couldn’t handle or “see” certain things honestly until many many layers were peeled back first.

MichaelJay 4 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I called my self a born again, so I made up my mind to read the bible that did it. t

Shep Level 4 Sep 13, 2020

Reading historical records.

I studied the bible and wanted to be a minster at an early age. My study produced evidence that the bible we have today came about some 300 years after the death of Jesus. That answers a lot of questions. What do you know today about someone who lived 300 years ago? Probably not very much.

when i first read the bible as a learned man, too much bullshit in it. then i read all the other sacred books, equally bullshit. conclusion, all gods and all religions are bullshit.

I played this song backwards.

Word Level 8 Nov 24, 2019

It was the movie the God delusional. At first it was hard to believe that Religion caused so much harm throughout human history. At first I challenge on Atheist forums and their debates made good sense.

I still challenges on spiritual methods of enhancing life balance. The world will change more into a spiritual age anyways, the non-believers will adjust as long as Religion is not involved.

That movie would make total sense to me now. Back then when I saw all the harm that Religion caused, I looked at it as the Christian faith still being real and true, just that certain people who weren't true believers were doing lots of horrible things for their own power or selfish motivations. And that's easier to do when society is pro-Christian and church/state become intertwined - I'm thinking about the Crusades and that kind of time period, but it's still occurring now of course. Because my assumption was wrong, and my religious experiences and knowledge were so strong, moving, and ingrained in me, I had to come up with another explanation for all the horrible things done in the name of religion.
It's so great to have my brain set free to finally look at things without that incredible bias. Obviously, we're all biased in certain ways, but getting rid of that Christian filter that I used for every bit of knowledge that came into my brain has made my mind finally free.

The day I took a standardized exam and they ask you to check your sex, ethnicity and religion and I realized I could answer any way I choose and not check the catholic box just because my mom told me I was catholic. I have to admit I was never fully invested in the obviously fake stories in the bible. I am forever grateful I went to a secular Montessori school instead of a catholic school as a kid.

Having been raised and brainwashed in the Moron (Mormon) Church, I was a faithful Moron until my late 20s, when I decided to prove scientifically that Moronism was true, in order to convert my thinking friends. I studied the predictions of the founding prophet of Moronism, Joseph Smith, and compared them to history. I was shocked to discover that his prophecies did not come true. So I left Moronism. Then I studied the Biblical prophecies and compared them to history, and discovered that they were false prophets, too. I also found multiple contradictions in the Bible, and saw that some stories (such as the creation and Noah's flood) contradicted science. I studied religious apologetics, and found that all the arguments were illogical. That's when I became an atheist. Saved by the scientific method. 🙂

Thanks for sharing. So happy you got through that. I remember being new in my Christian faith & studying all the things about Mormonism (and other religions) that made me think of it/them as a joke logically....but then I'd have some "logical" answer why the contradictory Christian beliefs weren't contradictory. Makes me shake my head now, even though I know why I couldn't see it.
Now I always feel a connection with all who aren't believers and I appreciate their different journeys which are all just as valid as the next. I also hold a very special connections to those of us who had to undo & lose a life's work of passion, love, knowledge, identify, and community to get to their current beliefs. It's not an easy road. I think I lot more people that go to church have a whole lot more doubts about their faith than they share, but it's too drastic of a change to question those things wholeheartedly. Far easier to keep getting the positive benefits to going to church (socializing with people that you've liked, etc.) while keeping your doubts private, than deal with a massive overall to everything you know and to your social circles.
At least I was always a very logical person with a strong belief in fairness, honesty with myself, science, and truth. That foundation helped me chip away at those beliefs that didn't have any basis in fact eventually....it just took a long, painful time. Thank goodness I'm good now. It's amazing the contradictions I could justify back then. It seems so simple now, looking back. But taking away the foundation to everything you hold dear and are passionate about in life was too scary for me mentally & emotionally to just see the truth when I would hear it. It took a long time to slowly unravel things to a point where I could finally see things as they were, instead of NEEDING to see things a certain way. So happy I don't feel that way now. It's amazing what the power of belief can rationalize to keep us believing something that's not true.

You used your brain outside the box,? Ghosh, nobody can own you now.

@MichaelJay Studying the Bible is what makes many people atheists. 🙂

I don't know that I ever was a believer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.