Agnostic.com

43 6

What do you say?

At my work, I started saying "good luck" when someone sneezes. I'm happy that its caught on! I have no problem saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" (I'm half German after all,) but am wondering what other people say, if anything, (which I sometimes say nothing.)

• 37 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 37 votes
pepperjones 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think saying bless you is a quoculism and I spent my life saying it. I don't see it as a religious statement

When I sneeze I usually follow up with " die you damn fool!". I've never said it to someone else. Not sure about that.

If asked I simply say that I am not qualified to bless anyone.

Salute! Italian for good health.

I don't say anything when someone coughs or hiccups or passes gas, although I often give a dirty look, so it's never made sense to me to say anything when someone sneezes.

Demons Begone! He he....

or a varaiation of gesundheit, such as gusundiheight, or any other way to mis pronounce the word

I say "bless you and all the people you blew away!"

5 in a row gets you a paid day off!

I tend to say nothing.

The obvious answer is "You are soooo good looking."

If they sneeze multiple times, I’ll say “that’s enough!”

Goes-in-tight

I believe its a cultural norm rather than a religious “blessing”.

Gesundheit most often. Occasionally "May the Force be with you."

I usually say "bless you" - but completely out of habit. I have been trying to correct myself into saying "Sagan be with you" (as in Carl Sagan) just to counter the religious-ness(?) of 'bless'

"Are you going to eat that?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43187
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.