Agnostic.com

43 6

Ideal role of religion in society?

Religion is many people’s favorite toy and is something I don’t think many non-believers would want to take away from believers. If you could, would you remove religion from society completely? What role would you relegate it to? I’m thinking in a US-context here, but of course value any international input. Looking forward to your thoughts.

DoublePlusDanny 5 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion only goes away with education.. it's not an accident that the more uneducated a group is, the more likely they are to be religious... also, religious belief necessitates that people be indoctrinated (brainwashed) at a VERY early age... intelligent adults would NEVER believe the garbage that is at the very core of religious belief..

Astrology Buddhism xian Science, sexism, fake news, gawds of ancient and new invention heard in the educated ears of theocracy....no single world University offers a degree in Atheism and our facts about religion are dumbed down in dictionaries while the fake backdated calendar is only 13 centuries counting 4 years after real King Herod died making the bible story documented Fiction

Yes, I'd remove it from society.

It should be relegated to historical studies, just like the worship of Zeus and Odin were.

This is not to say that all spiritualism, all yearning for something greater, should be dismissed. but organized religion is a relic that has long since become more harmful than beneficial

It takes a CONSTITUTIONAL Amendment to repeal Article 6 and 3rd Amendment of respecting the free exercise of religions 38 states ratifying Congressional proposed language declaring faith a fraud to employ clergy or own tax free property

It should be taught as part of humanity's cultural and historical background, however, all religions equally. In everyday life religious myths would be fine, if treated similar to horoscopes - mostly for fun.

Circumcision and rapist priests ARE NOT FUN....religions are pure evil hell threats and heaven bribes

The role of religion us to serve as a crutch for the individuals who do not want a relationship with reality.

It creates artificial goals that are impossible to achieve, thus providing a sense of purpose and meaning for anyone who can not accept the anxiety associated with the unknown and freedom of uncertainty.

It justifies itself by claiming to be a source of morality, when in reality it has no power except to expose the moral behavior already present.

Religion doesn't need removed from society, but it should not have custody over the lives of people, and should not be the basis for what we do and how we live our lives.

Modern civil/human rights + science based society with multiculturalism and high industrial output has no place for religion.
Religion today is used only to harness power.
BUT maybe half of humans are in this kid of society, with civil society engaged and people creating communities by themselves (mostly because they have time, resources and money to do it).
In less advanced, educated and with few resources, churches are still a cornerstone of society and community building. And if secular organizations don't take this role, religion will never never loose its place.

Here's the thing; I get that a lot of people get a sense of community, socialization, and support belonging to a church and I have no issue with that. It's the promotion of superstition, ignorance, and magical thinking that has to go. Get rid of all the god, holy book, and religious horseshit and churches can remain as community organizations so the upside of what they can offer isn't lost.

How much more reasonable can I be?

(1) To satisfy the addiction many people have for a supernatural belief system, and (2) control the masses with guilt and belief. The antidote, of course, is education.

Religion is a crutch to assist people with the regards to the vastness and hugeness of the Universe. This type of mental masturbation is only practiced by humans. And then, only because we have the capability of abstract thought. This abstract thought capability allowed us to survive in a generally unfriendly world.

I imagine early humans looked up into the night sky and were impressed with its vastness and expanse. Just like it is to most people today, it was probably incomprehensible and confounding. Humans do not like unanswered questions. The lack a definable answer leads to unsettled feelings.

This nagging unclarity tends to irritate and aggravate. So in order to assuage the irritation, they rationalized their world around them. Likewise, the human mind doesn't deal with, what appears to be disorder (it's not really), so they impose a false order, once again to ease their mind. Humans like to control their environment, so they seek ways to exact a control by declaring a controlling Godhead(s) of some sort.

Even in a modern world of science, many need religion's rationalization to deal with the vastness. It is not until large numbers of humans venture into space will the human paradigm be significantly changed. Seeing the unlimitedness of space, "in space", only then will humans realize how truly insignificant they are in the larger scheme of things. Perhaps then might they give up the folly of rationalizing an order that doesnt exist, and accept the order that does exist.

i couldn't have said it better... so, i'm glad you did...

Role? Depends on who you're talking to and when in history. Example, the early Catholic church::money and controlling the populace using religion. I've asked people why they go to services, and many say for community. Always a few true believers who want to spread the repression/control---oops, the 'good news. 😝 I wouldn't remove it from society because it's their choice to believe in myths; I WOULD impose taxes and strengthen church/state separation.

Colorado voters voted no on taxing exempt property because it IS A TAX INCREASE....if church taxes were rebated to existing taxpayers VOTERS WOULD VOTE YES FOR A NET TAX DECREASE by making the freeloaders finally pay their fair share BACK TO PEOPLE WHO ALREADY PAID

Why should its role be any different from the rest of us?

Religion is fraud and Atheism is science

History is the role I’d relegate it to, to inform the youth of injustices that were once perpetuated. No doubt there are new ones to work on improving anyway.

A pacifist of old was asked: What do you think about Western Civilisation ? He said: " that would be a good idea." Has not happened YET

Rape and Murder = religion.....theocracy survives by Atheists doing nothing to stop rape and murder... religion begins with every forced pregnancy and brutal amputation of baby boy prepuce flesh then the brainwashing spoils the children forced to believe fake words like gawd and prEyer are real....tell the truth everywhere

Somebody has to come up with the holidays we observe. They are fun if you can ignore the mumbo jumbo.

The only two secular holidays I can think of would be the summer and winter solstice. Is that what you mean?

Holidays to celebrate natural events like the Solstices have been around as long as humankind, maybe longer

@Heathenman Xmas has gifts, Easter has chocolates, Halloween has candy and role playing, Thanksgiving (rooted in religious traditions since 1619 on Berkley Plantation in Jamestown, VA before Plymouth, MA happend) has food (we won't get into the gluttony as a sin thing), the solstices/equinoxes have their fun by season, Imbolc... do your research kids, only one true way to celebrate this one, Holi with the color "fights", Eid al Adha with its focus on eating lamb (best roasted on a spit), and the list goes on. You just ignore the b.s. behind the holiday and celebrate the feasting, fighting (don't tell me my family is the only one) and uhm, fornicating that can happen because of them.

@Heathenman Halloween is pretty much secular now, and Easter a welcoming of spring, I could keep those 😊

Religion ... pure and faultless is this : to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Why would you want to take those that believe in helping and those that believe in avoiding worldly corruption away?

Word Level 8 Nov 27, 2019

All that is needed is an "adult soother'. Whatever that is?

Definitely yes, totally and completely. That means zero role.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:431898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.