Agnostic.com

7 0

Combat training

Should we include self defense as a school subject?
I always wanted to practice but no one at school wanted to. They ran one self defense class in year 7 but that was it.
If we don't teach our children to defend themselves are we allowing them to be vulnerable victims. I mean sure most boys who are worth anything will be able to fight at a 10% efficiency rate but what about girls? Shouldn't we at least train them to defend themselves?

I think self defense should be an optional subject that schools should welcome gladly. The more people who are correctly mentally trained to be disciplined and can fight well, the better society will be.

It uses the same logic as one american town where it is required by law for every house to own a gun. Now I don't know how or why, but the number of break in and enter rates are almost non-existent in that town. Must be a coincidence. If we train our kids to defend themselves, it becomes a deterrent to would be assailants.

• 3 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
Lancer 7 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I took pistol shooting when I was in college and became a much better shot as a result.

I wish I could've done that but with the UK in the state it's in, you can't even buy or shoot a pistol unless the barrel is like 16 inches long, it looks like a rifle barrel welded onto a pistol as an extension.

My parents used to shoot once a weekend, but now their old pistol range was demolished. It was literally in the middle of nowhere but after the UK started their disarmament agenda it had no real use. I was sad because my dad drove me around Wales to show me where he grew up, where he hand built his first house with his own hands, etc. He took me to the pistol range about 20 min from his first house but it was nothing but rubble.

my kids are both grown, in adult life they have both become adept in various marshall arts, ie 3rd level black belt. they have alwyas been fit and outdoorsy despite both being nerdy geeks. Had this training been an option at school, they would have both participated, I have a son and a daughter, in fact my daughter has the higher skills and in more disciplines.

Maybe not so much "combat" training - but martial arts of some sort, and general self defense.

Aside from the obvious, they give confidence, discipline, a place of mental quiet, and the kind of attitude that quietly prevents most attacks or bullying from happening in the first place !

I completely agree with you.

the combat training thing was just a personal interest of mine. But I agree that we should make self-defense available to all.

Compulsory anything is a waste of time and energy. Only those that see value in learning about anything will benefit. Again I reiterate sheep are to be fleeced. Teaching morals & responsibility with martial arts and judging who will misuse the information presented is the teacher's job.

Voted optional. I also think that if a kid has a history of bullying in their school record, they shouldn't be allowed to take it. Kinda defeats the purpose if you're teaching the bullies to fight XD

I would mostly agree with you.

However there is another perspective we could use to look at your example. I was once called a bully and I used to think I was worthless, bad and unnecessary. I put no value on my life. Every teacher I had didn't want anything to do with me (they were all women). But one day one of the male teachers overheard the women talking badly about me in the staff room. (He told me this many years later) I was going into year 4 of primary school the next year and this teacher requested that I be put in his class. The bad boy who no one liked, the bully. He wanted to see for himself if I was that bad.

After 5 weeks he asked me to stay behind after class. I stayed, he asked if I would like to have extra lessons on maths and english grammar after school. I was too young to understand but I said yes and he talked to my parents about it. He would teach me more on the subjects than he would the other students, and one day when he put a difficult question on the board that he knew only I could solve.

All the kids had trouble, then he asked me to solve it and show the other students what to do. I had been the worst academic student in year 3, but now I was teaching the class. It gave me temporary purpose and made me feel wanted, feel good.

If he had decided to just leave me be because some people called me a bully, then I probably would be a bully today. The reason other teachers called me a bully was because I would stand up to the real bullies. My dad recieved a call one day about how I "Bullied" 3 boys 3 years older than me, on my own. Sound like BS? well to these women it made perfect sense. The other 3 boys were bullying my older sister, and I wasn't going to let it continue. The 3 boys lied and the teachers just accepted it because of their prejudice.

If we train and discipline bullies to control their emotions and train themselves, give them a purpose. Then you can save them from that path and help them to use their talents to teach others for their own benefit.

That makes sense. I've been in a similar position before, actually- I wasn't branded a bully, but I did get in trouble once for standing up for my friends. There was this one kid who was making fun of my friend's dead father (like who the fuck would do that!?) so I said some nasty things to him that made him shut up. He then ratted me out to the principal and I was the one who got in trouble. So I definitely feel you there, though by the sounds of it you had it much worse than me. But yeah, I'd change my position in light of that argument as long as emotional self control is taught along with self defense.

Thanks man. You sound like a chill person.
I'm not encouraging bullying or violence, I detest both. But I also think that people should have the opportunity to train themselves. They might never need to use these skills which would be ideal. But it's always a case of "it's better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it". Anyway, have a nice day.

Thanks man 🙂 And yeah, I agree with you there. Self-defense/combat training is a very useful skill to have. Even if you never actually have to use it for protection, it's good for your body and mind anyway.

We, as parents, need to do such training. I would not entrust that to anyone else, as I would want to equip them for self0defense while -- at the same time -- teaching my children to use those techniques and devices to take advantage of others.

I agree with you. But let's be honest, how many parents do you know who can fight? The majority of parents can't even raise their kids to have basic manners, let alone a less important skill like self defense.

teach them to think critically and recognize danger, become risk averse. the pen is mightier than the sword in the end

That only works in the safe parts of semi-developed countries. Sometimes you can't just run away or avoid conflict. Not when someone breaks into your house or tries to take away what is precious to you

The pen makes an awesome close in weapon! Pencil works well also.

Haha. I like the way you think ????????

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.