Agnostic.com

9 7

After being in a relationship for a couple of years that began sketchily, progressed to horrible and eventually evened out to what can only be described as unrealistically optimistic before I had to end it, I am single yet again and coming to terms with the idea that I might not be good for romantic relationships as much as I might see myself as a romantic.

I have a good support system with my friends and others, so I'm okay there. I just miss the intimacy that comes with a relationship. Not just the sex, but the laughter in bed. The joking around. The goofiness. We were great in that department. That was something that I dreaded ending. But the way I felt I was treated really made me feel ... I don't know the word(s) right now.

I miss her, but I also know that I have a tendency to romanticize things in my life after they have passed. Things that weren't so great, during the during.

I'm probably just being melodromatic, but I needed to write something down. And this site, seeing as how I don't know anybody in person, seemed like a good place for me to do this.

Wait ... I don't think I know anybody in person on here ...

cannon1975 6 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's perfectly okay! this is a safe place to vent and share. I was able to relate with what you said .we've all been through a lot

We are humans, We can at least begin to relate, through what we have not experienced and through what we have. To be heard by others may make us listen to ourselves more keenly. I am often, if not always, open to hear.

Well, I don't know you, so there's that 🙂. Just as the old saying, "Nobody joins a cult," nobody sets out to be in a bad relationship. I got out of a long-term one about a year and a half ago that was abusive, but I don't think she would ever understand that it was, nor even that I don't blame her for it. Just every day was worse and worse. I get tired of being told I'm weak for letting myself stay in that situation, and a part of me feels weak for it.

I get you, brother. Ended a similar situation last July. It had gone on way past the point of redemption. I was stunned (not really, but a bit surprised) when a few days before my departure, she asked if I might change my mind. No way. I knew her asking was monetarily motivated, and I'd had enough of that kind of duplicity.

You may have had a better relationship in the end than mine, because I don't miss her in the least. I do miss the intimacy of a relationship, but that was over a couple years ago. I guess I'm not much of a romantic, either. Too much of a pragmatist, I suppose.

There's a wide array of people out there; there's bound to be more than a few you'll click with on a romantic level. It's perfectly normal and healthy to set standards for a relationship and having them by no means, means you'll always be lonely--just that the people you do come across will be a better suited match. It's also completely fine to miss what you had and long for that sort of intimacy; just don't forget to remember why it didn't work out--because it's important to make sure you also take care of yourself.

Mea Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Welcome to the community. We do tend to miss the good stuff and forget the bad.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.
Some good questions I've always asked myself after a relationship ended, to keep me from going back to it, are WHY didn't this work? What did I do to keep this from working? What did they do
to keep this from working?
Missing the few things that did work, never were enough to make me go back to all the other things that did NOT work.
Good luck moving forward.

Don't worry about it. Try to meet as many people as you can. I met someone at a doctor's office, and while the relationship was not the best, nothing would have happened unless I took the initiative.

It will happen.

Its ok to get it of your chest

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43365
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.