Agnostic.com

8 15

Fixing the gargoyle on your screen

"Everyone looks awful on video conference calls." You can improve that.

Think about your best camera angle. No wide-angle shots up the nose. Occasionally, I Skype with a man before meeting. To get ready:

1. Wear a solid, flattering color. Dark colors are slimming.

2. Elevate the computer's camera slightly above your face. (I look terrible shot from below.)

3. Adjust the lighting to illuminate softly from the sides, not glaring overhead.

4. Simplify the background.

5. Back away from the camera to show you from the chest or waist up.

6. Look at yourself on the screen and make adjustments.

7. Smile!

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everybody looks bad from below.

Hell, I don't bother with all that - if the initial writing exchange goes ok, maybe a phonecall or two, or not, I just meet 'em. That's the ultimate test anyway - if it feels comfortable to BE with someone.

But of course, there's no guarantee the second meet will feel right ! Ha.

@evergreen

I insist on a phone conversation before meeting. Rarely Skype first.

@LiterateHiker Sometimes I do the phone thing, especially if there's a distance, or if they seem flaky in their notes - but I call with my # blocked. If they're not ok with that (most are), and they live relatively close by, then I offer to go for the face-to-face.

Wouldn't a wide angle lens be more fitting for landscapes and a close up lens more fitting for that dreaded shot up the nose?

Thank you for all those tips, however no matter about angle or lighting I still look like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, but I have stopped worrying about that. My intentions and my soul is just beautiful.

@Jolanta

You look beautiful in your photo.

Thanks for the suggestion. I blocked the crude, disgusting guy forever.

@Jolanta.... you are being too harsh on yourself. You look great in the photo. And @literatehike.....that "male poster" was way out of line. Rude as could be.

@LiterateHiker I shall do the same. Let's start a movement and all of us block him, that despicable piece of something under my shoe,

@Bigwavedave Thank you for your kind words Sir.

@Jolanta He is blocked forever.

You’re Being to harsh on yourself. Your are attractive, intelligent and a good friend

@Jolanta, @PondartIncbendog, @Bigwavedave

I reported Mr. Crass. His profile was deleted. Excellent.

You appear to be a "pro" at video meets.....great advice..

@nicknotes

Thank you. I just figured out what works for me.

You are doing great....I've been watching and you have it all down pat. @LiterateHiker

@nicknotes

Thank you so much, Nick!

You made my day....nothing more pleasing than getting a comment from a super woman. @LiterateHiker

great advice,Thanks for sharing

If you think there is a gargoyle on your screen, you should see mine. You would certainly get religion and send for an exorcist. Everything is relative. And the best way to know if someone really likes you is to make yourself look ugly.

Did it a few times

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:433737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.