Agnostic.com

11 2

Chance meetings with members of former church

I am often anxious about running across people who knew me from my "church lady" years. What if they start asking about where I go to church now...I think I would say I am between churches. I'm just not willing to get into a discussion of my lack of belief and it is none of their business.

Would like to know how others have handled similar situations.

Bevzilla 5 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve never been the church type or believer of any kind, however, given my attitude about life, I’d just tell them that I freed myself from the chains of religion. When they scoff and begin acting superior, I’d assure through my actions that they wouldn’t talk to me again.

I run into people I grew up with and they have friended me on FB. They are practicing Jews and Catholics. I also have religious cousins. They know I've been a non-believer since my teens.

My family is either clueless about my non-belief, or they choose to ignore it. No one has been daring enough to start a discussion with me. I guess I am just too scary, being a heathen and all.

The last church I went to ended up having internal problems involving their form of government and what they would allow the pastor to do. My now ex and I had started going there in 2005, later stopped attending, and ran onto some of the church members in Walmart one day. They seemed intent on telling me all that had happened and asked me if I knew what the pastor had done. I told them I had no idea, and even if they told me stories in great detail I would not really know much when they were done. They got my drift quickly. I refused to talk about the pastor because he had helped the wife and I on occasion and we were not even church members when the allegations surfaced. From time to time we did see some of these church members again while in town without them trying to get me involved in church business.

I was run out on rail for disagreeing with their policies. The worst of it was that my then teenage daughter was treated very badly by these "sainted" pillars of the church.

My aunt goes to church. I went with her a few times so she could stop asking me to go. Now all of the people there ask about me.

I have been out as a atheist since I was 12 so I don’t really have to deal with that particular situation. But living here in the south I get ask what church I go a lot by my customers at work. I just tell them I’m not religious then I end up getting invited to their church. I’m just as polite as I can be and change the subject.

I can see your point all things considered but I find it hard to lie myself about something like that which has caused so much death and pain worldwide and still is. this religion just like your terrible gun laws has got to stop and someone has got to make a stand to get the ball rolling.

Love the sign - I think that will be my answer. I am now Non-Delusional!!

I want it on a t-shirt

I sometimes meet members of the Hindu temple I went to as a kid. I'm first generation American, and the trend is that as kids get older, they fall off from attending the temple. I hang on to that, as all people my age have stopped going so frequently or at all. I don't announce anything else to them as it seems to always be "hi, how are you doing" small talk anyhow.

Those people tend to be nosey.

I usually share my current views on how I feel religion is a crutch for the weak, to start. But if you're just looking to avoid a conversation, simply tell them you'd prefer not to discuss that topic. Hopefully they will be polite enough to not probe.

Just look them in the eye and say the following:

"Yes, I have made great spiritual growth. And I'd like to talk with you about Scientology..."

They will make up an excuse, and quickly leave.

Works every time. 😉

I'd probably say something to them about non-belief, assuming I have the time to talk, because it might help someone else who has doubts to know that they aren't alone and that people they know personally have gone through the same process and emerged unscathed. I'm not saying that's what you should do, though, only that I think that would be my approach.

I would agree. It's not like you're ashamed of how you view the world now, it's you don't want to deal with the undesirable judgment of others. I get that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43565
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.