Agnostic.com

9 2

Why do people keep asking about God ?

Personally i was born and raised as roman Catholic but in my opinion religion is not really important as long as you believe in our self ,what is my capability to live and love myself .

Cams44 3 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

because life is a bitch and we want to know why were here.

I have not heard anyone asking about God for a long time.

you need some new friends yo.

@Kieran: my friends do not talk about God. That's the way they like it, and it's the way I like it. Why would I want friends that do?

Because you can't have a true conversation about metaphysics without talking about god and if you're not talking about metaphysics every once in a while your life has probably gotten pretty dull. Philosophically speaking.

I think I had those conversations long ago. I don't need to have them again.

"God" has been with us presumably since we became conscious, which makes it our go-to position. I suspect it's going to be a while before we are able to overturn the concept in favor of something better and more empowering.

They don't ask me. They don't want to get me started.

gearl Level 8 Nov 20, 2017

Personally religion is not important, I agree. Sociologically, there are few forces more powerful....possible exceptions to language and the development of agriculture. My morbid fascination with religion is analagous to my morbid fascination with WWII. Both are disasterous on monumental scales and are windows on the human condition.

It's been around a century and a half since Darwin published the Origin of Species, in that time there has been a fundamental shift within Society in the Western world, from having a society in which 99.9% of people believed strongly in God and their religion, to a world in which many either have no significant feelings about religion or any particularly strong belief in God, or in many cases as the existence of this site demonstrates, a true grasp they both God and religion are man-made constructs of the imagination. Now it is true to say that in religious areas such as the bible belt in particular and elsewhere to boot, you are going to find people who still are true Believers, yet despite how aggravating these people may seem to those of us who have a grasp on reality, they are becoming the minority. When you study history, it must be acknowledged that a century and a half it's a relatively short stretch of time, in the end, in another century in half, I think it's safe to say that the religious adherents we represent nothing more than a tiny, lunatic fringe minority, but it must be faced that these things take time, change on such a scale does not happen after a dozen or so years or even decades, but rather, generations.

Why do people keep asking about god? I don't know why. I didnt know they did. Trying to find the answer to life i guess.

It gets a bit tiresome, doesn't it? Can't we just move on from god(s)?

I think it's a rather important question. What we believe about God, religion, morality, etc., is perhaps the most important influence in how we live life. Understanding what someone believes and why is a major way of understanding who they are as a person.

It’s hard to admit this... but whenever anyone starts talking religious or about aliens, my eyes roll in my head and I lose respect for them.

I was with some people for a class I was taking recently and two of them started talking about ghosts. It was everything I could do to keep from rolling my eyes and calling them idiots.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4362
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.