Agnostic.com

56 9

Are you attracted to people who are just comfortable being themselves from the start?

I'm trying to figure out if being too much myself on a first date is a bad thing or if I should treat dating like a job interview. Should I act better than I truly am?

paul1967 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a complete dork on dates because I get nervous and awkward. I laugh too much, I talk too much, I share way way too much, you get the idea. That sometimes gives off the impression that I'm more fun and outgoing than I naturally tend to be, but I don't purposely set out to mislead. I guess it's an over-exaggerated version of myself because, IRL, I spend a lot of time being quiet and keeping to myself but that makes for a very boring date.
The fact is, most of us have a variety of personality traits, so we are honestly never going to be totally ourselves at any given moment. I'd say, if you're trying to attract someone, be authentic, don't "act" like anything you're not, and, if you're nervous and awkward like me, don't be afraid to admit it.

i wished everyone would just be, without trying to appear as someone he/she is not. it makes for a more relaxed atmosphere, encouraging everyone else in the vicinity to unknot & just be genuinely imperfect.
ultimately what we all want is love, which became the reason for all the faking & pretense, trying to be our 'best'. but we are not, & it doesn't work that way; instead we all just become anxious. let's just all relax in our fallibility.

YES!!!! Be yourself.. The right person will accept that

I am comfortable with a date being himself, however, now that I am old, the men that I have dated, who are my age have been quite an eye opening experience. For some reason, men my age seem to be absolutely obsessed with sex. From the first moments, they start asking me about how I feel about various aspects of sex. Never any getting to know each other, it's straight to sex. I wonder if they think it makes them feel young and virile, when all it does is make them seem like nasty old horn dogs. I guess I'm glad they are being themselves, because I find out that I don't want another date, right off the bat. I wonder why they act that way. I'm a very free thinking, tattooed, old pagan woman, but that doesn't mean that all I want to talk about is sex. It is very strange.

I must refer you to this sage advice from the past generations haha 😉

@Nickbeee Thanks for the advice. I will definitely consider it, if I ever have another man interested in me.

I think it's kind of funny as some men have moved on for sure @Wisewoman3 🙂 Though there is definitely wisdom there. I know quite a lot of men are still stuck in the 40's .... the 1340's

I haven't read all the previous posts on this one, but here's my recommendation: always be authentic, while at the same time, empathetic. Some may be attracted, right from the start, to edginess—saying the first thing that pops into one’s head, without considering the impact. While others may wonder why this person sitting across from them is always cutting them off, spouting an unsolicited opinion and appearing self-absorbed. First dates are indeed like an interview—only it goes both ways, and there’s no power dynamic (or at least, there shouldn’t be). Sometimes we see what we hope to see in others, while at other times we project what we think others want to see.

Of course, no matter their details, age, sex, weight...whatever, it makes people around them more relaxed. Also, I am afraid of woman that wear a lot of make up, it is too bad many do not know how to wear it properly.

I don't get that. Who are you supposed to be, one the first, or secong or fifteenths date?

Do you!

Eventually you will wind up being you anyway, so why not do it from the get-go?

I haven't dated in 4-EVER, and I'm into men if I'm dating, but whenever I meet anyone, male ot female, my 1st goal is to make a genuine freind of them.

I'm gonna judge someone on if you would be good friend material ot not. You can keep freinds long term. If you go into a relationship trying to figure out if they are date material or not, many times you can miss out on some great friendships and hang-out buddies...something that we ALL need...

(I'm the type person that if you don't qualify to make it to the "friend-zone", you will NEVER make it to become a date!

I won't EVER date someone that I can't even be freinds with! Deeper feelings and more inclusive and less restrictive relationships can't be forced, but can evolve naturally from out of friendships.)

Personally, I kind of feel like I come off better on paper though, because I can collect and organize my thoughts.

When I show up in person I'm not shy, but I tend to keep my foot in my mouth a lot because when I say something, my thoughts aren't as organized and it doesn't come out sounding like I wanted it to.

I come out sometimes sounding a total goof-ball, but hopefully a likeable one. I'm sincere.

Donna Level 6 Mar 27, 2018

If being yourself is somehow a bad thing, then figure out why, and work on that.

Always be yourself. You'll know then if they like you the way you are.

I say, b yourself regardless. Anything else has negative results

Confidence is extremely attractive to me. However, there is a fine line between confidence and being cocky.

I don't think you should fake being anything in order to get attention. Be yourself. Either that person likes you for you, or you find someone else that will.

The short answer to your question is I would act somwhere in between. Here is a longer answer. Authenticity is very importantt o me. I also value social graces. I date with the plan of becoming long term best friends and lovers. With that said I want to be able to develop mutual trust, respect, admiration, and adoration with my partner. I will trust someone who constantly demonstrates honesty and sincerity. I will respect and admire someone who demonstrates qualities including intelligence, ambition, self confidence, prudence, humor, discretion, kindness, generosity, sharing, caring, charity, grace, forgiveness, wisdom, etc. You can't get someone to demonstrate all of this on a first date. However you can ask questions designed to reveal most of these qualities on a first date. If she reveals a lot of these qualities on a first date then i'll ask her for future dates. But if she utterly fails to gain my trust or respect on the first date then she is off the long term plan.

As long as you are not hiding a nutjob personality beneath it all then yes, be yourself. Don't be pretentius.

especially the nutjob personality i want to see revealed from the get-go.

Why do you want to pretend to be something that you're not ? That seems like that would be too much work for that.

Be honest. I'm not suggesting turning up to a date looking like "Johnny from The Shining" but be yourself.
That's only what you want from your date ?

especially if he IS (looking like) 'johnny from the shining' i insist that he be himself - so i can organise my immediate retreat 😀

Yes. Confidence is extremely attractive.

No be yourself. The truth will always come out.

The only way to be is yourself. Let your true colors shine through. Honesty is always the best policy. If you don't, they you are lying to them and yourself.

You are not going to be the only person in the room. The other person would like to know that you were considerate enough to put your best foot forward, as they will most likely be doing. That said, you need to be yourself, but be the best version of yourself.

I think eventually, our true selves come out and if people don't like who we really are, would we want to be with that person? And, we should never concern ourselves about fitting someone else's standards for a date. If you're looking for something serious, ask yourself if you see that person with you in the future? When it's right, there will be no doubt!

Great question. Confidence and humor are magnets for me and are much more important than what you wear. I love jeans, tennies and t-shirts, but to go out I would definitely upgrade from that. It would still be something I enjoy wearing and that represents me.

I would rather be with someone who is comfortable being himself on a date than a pretentious phoney, or worse yet, someone with secrets to hide. Uneasy people make me uneasy.

Understood. I think I wrote my post poorly. I seemed to have lead people to believe I meant to lie or act like a phony. I just meant, things like do you dress better than you typically would or smile and laugh more than you would. Those kinds of innocent flirty things many people do. The reason I asked the question in the first place had more to do with developing from a first date into something more long term.

@paul1967 Guilty as charged. I do dress better on a first date than I normally would, and some of my more secret kinky fantasie and fetishes (both harmless and nonviolent) may not be revealed until the third or fourth date, when we are more intimate.

Popeye said it best. "I am what I am and it's all I can be!" I follow few protocols these days. I don't like to shave but do it every 8-9 days because I'm unable to grow a full beard. I played in the mud growing up and don't like to dress up. I'm severe casual and I've learned that being myself is the only way to attract someone who can deal with it. I place reality on the table and leave the choice up to them. I'm single. I have been for awhile. I love me and understand that I'm searching for someone very special because that's what it will take to bring me out of my shell. #introvert #turtle

be yourself from jumpstreet

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.