Agnostic.com

12 0

How did you come out as atheist, agnostic etc..

How did you come out to the world as a non believer? What did you lose? What did you gain? Advice for this who haven't?

Horseguy 4 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't come out unless people ask me directly because its of so little consequence to me - the people who do this are usually ok about whatever answer they get and if they arent I just walk away- Easy; I don't care what others think of me for my beliefs its them doing the judging not me.

Ta Da!

My parents were not believers of any kind nor any of my relatives and I wasnt brought up in any religion - It just wasnt part of my life and still isn't .If I meet a new group of people I don't feel its necessary to know that about me; though if I am asked I have no problem telling. I was a lecturerer in person centred counselling and there were very often priests, nuns, deacons, and deaconesses, vicars &( I nearly said and tarts) - Some were out, some not at all, some engaged fully with the course, some not at all. It was interesting as the hardest to reach and I never managed it was the deaconess - I think she knew the course wasn't for her but wanted to stick it out to the bittter end As her church had sent her; but most of the time she was praying.

So I don't think i have much advice - Just bite the bullet if you really need to otherwise its your own business.

I started a youtube channel (long since abandoned). I lost nothing.

I didn't. Over time, I came to the realization that I had never actually believed in the first place.

Lose? Not much.

Father O'Riley stopped sexting me.

I suddenly realized that math, science and history lessons are based on facts and evidence. In other words, literally.
The Bible cannot be taken literally without turning to mush, so what good is it as a true source of real knowledge?
What did I lose? Eternal life, or rather the illusion and comfort of it.
As for what I gained, freedom to expand and live without reprisal by an angry and jealous god

My mom and I got into an argument about why it is I didn’t want to go to the service at my local parish for high school graduates. Although I don’t think it stuck with her that I’m an “atheist,” so then I just shared some stuff on Facebook that suggested to people “hey, maybe this guy is an atheist.” No one’s really confronted me about it except in saying “be careful what you post on Facebook.”

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

I've just always talked my mind. So by the time I had lost that bit of me, it made no difference to those who knew me. I find the tricky bit is not portraying yourself as victimised and spreading hate. What parts were constructive for you to become who you are now?

It's too easy to burn the bridge after getting to the other side. We're the ones who have changed, so the weight is on us to seem like good people

You know, being agnostic is not a “badge” one needs to wear on his/her shoulder. I guess my mom knew that I did not “accept Jesus as my personal savior” and so I would never meet her in heaven. That caused her some grief, but generally, I see no reason to talk about my religious beliefs with most people. I suppose I would like to persuade folks not to believe in all kinds of BS but right now I'm more focused on the BS surrounding “Make America Great Again” from a man who cares only about self-aggrandizement

I was born athiest and I stayed athiest. My family sent me to Sunday school to learn about religion. It didn't take. My side of the family is agnostic and the in laws are very religious. They respect my views.

Pretty sure this is the tenth time for this question.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43713
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.