Agnostic.com

29 3

Is chivalry dead?

lbusche 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In some ways YES!

As women have killed it off. Cannot open doors for women these days without hearing about in papers that the woman has screamed at the man and deemed as sexist etc.

In the age of chivalry women were not educated, treated as chattel and had their marriages arranged. Getting a womans attention usually involved some barbaric act followed by macho strutting. Any kindness shown them was directly aimed at arranging pleasure for the male. Oh, and chivalric poetry was always in the same and simple meter written by mindless aristicrats or their scribes. My English Lit 101 prof. made all of us read that drivel for 3 months, she loved it.

I am going to guess that you intend to be the modern interpretation of chivalry. By that I would say it is far from dead and that is good. Kindness should never die.

I'd like to think the classic ideal of chivalry has given way to common courtesy & kindness. I've held doors for men & women, given up my seat on public transport to the elderly & hugely pregnant. If I'm on a date & dressed to the 9s in high heels, having a hand to help me out of the vehicle or an arm to hold over rough pavement is logical & much appreciated but in all honesty, not expected when i'm sporting tennis shoes & jeans.

I am not sure chivalry is synonymous with kindness, It could be the knight wanted to gain some benefit etc. Knights were also looked up to by many people. There attributes were bravery, sacrifice, protectors. What better way to exemplify that than to be chivalrous.

To my way of thinking, whether she be dressed up to the Nines or simply in jeans and sneakers a woman deserves to be shown respect and treated with respect UNLESS or UNTIL she has shown herself to be completely UNWORTHY of such.
As an example I cite a recent encounter I personally had, I was walking home from a nearby supermarket after getting a few things I needed when I saw a woman ( in her late 60s - early 70s) at the side of the road with a flat tyre on her car.
I went over asked if I could help her change the tyre, she said to me "Oh, thank you Sir, what a very kind offer, you must be a very true and decent Christian Gentleman.
I simply responded with the truth, "No, Ma'am, I'm an Atheist and was brought up to be a Gentleman who respects others and helps those in need."
She became quite verbally abusive towards me then slapped my face, spat at me before telling me she would rather struggle to change the tyre herself than accept help from a Godless Heathen.
That 'episode' has not changed my attitude towards being 'chivalrous' in any way BUT it has shown me that in some aspects Religion, Xtianity in particular, may have eroded decency in society to some extent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43810
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.