Agnostic.com

5 13

LINK Unfollow | Megan Phelps-Roper | Macmillan

I am reading this book, it is really difficult to put down. I encountered WBC while I lived in Kansas (1999 to 2005), I didn't understand them and mostly scorned and ignored them. And they did give me one opportunity for a teachable moment with my kids when we encountered on of their protests. They were protesting at a Billy Graham crusade which I think is the height of irony. This is an excellent, awakening look at religious extremism. Very well written.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Westboro Baptist Church is really a very small group....most of the members are from one family of zealots. They just do outrageous acts to get publicity.

I'm from Topeka, and used to pass them on the street almost every day. Infuriating.

I haven't read her book but I've heard her interviewed. Brave.

She was on a Joe Rogan Podcast a while back. Man, she has some stories to tell. It was a great conversation.

I feel as though I'd like to read it, but can't help feeling the first part would make me physically ill (her time in the Westboro church). I will have to debate with myself if it's worth it...

It is very compassionately written, she does love her parents and her parents have or had received some harsh treatment from WBC. Of course not knowing your triggers I can't make your judgement. I do know Fred Phelps history and her mom is a victim, but her discussion is compassionate.

@HippieChick58 It would be hard for me to read about all the misguided beliefs and the actions arising out of them. I understand that people in the influence of a religion or a cult do things they shouldn't be held responsible for, but it might be a fine line between my sympathy and then shaking my head over how people could believe such things.

You listen to the interview Sam Harris, or Terri Gross did with her. She's a very smart woman. I think you'd feel differently about reading the book if you heard her story.

They are a bizarre group. A true cult I believe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:438182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.