Agnostic.com

63 5

Afterlife

I’ve recently became an Agnostic. I feel good about it, but at the same time I’m scared when it comes to death. I know death is certain. But I keep thinking of these holier than thou Christians saying you’re going to hell which I think is so narrow minded, but I keep having this thought that “what if they’re right? what if they’re right?” thinking in the back of my mind. I want to make peace with my decision of becoming an Agnostic, what do I do?

Gyffrey88 4 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (51 - 63)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God, if there was one, wouldn't create such a horrible punishment. Think long and hard about that.
Anybody can say anything.
What makes sense?

How can they be right when there’s absolutely no evidence to support them. I just wouldn’t worry about going somewhere that doesn’t exist.

How do you decide to become an agnostic? You are what you are and agnostic might label you as how the defination would apply to how you are. If you do not like how you are, in some areas, change is possible I would think. Be considered with how you are and not change just because you want a label.

I do find it hard sometimes to no longer consider myself labelled as christian. I had hopes then and in ways thought I would be about conformity to the label. After finding out Jesus is Lucifer the devil I do not consider I could try to conform to the label anymore nor do I want to conform to that label anymore.

Word Level 8 Dec 17, 2019

You can't expect yourself to immediately disbelieve everything you're been taught. It takes time.

I started questioning religion when I was a teenager. I decided in my 20's that I no longer believed, but I was still on the fence about heaven/hell. Here I am, 61, and still believe in reincarnation. To be honest, that will probably leave me in a few years.

My advice is to not beat yourself up over it. It's a gradual process, and even if you still have issues in it later on, it's okay. Keep learning, keep researching, and everything will fall into place.

I have ask christians to prove their god is real, prove an afterlife is real, and prove Hell is real. So far none of them have replied. Getting over religion can take some time. Baby steps happen first, then the walk comes later.

1,2,3. Altogether now...
"Where were you before you were born? Was there pain? Okay then."

I was born and indoctrinated as a Roman Catholic. Reason turned me into an Atheist at age 20. It took four decades for me to be completely comfortable with my non-belief. Hang in there.

Another runaway slave? See “apostate” in OED.

What if you make up your mind already?

Think about it... we, and everything else, are energy - do our thoughts have material form? Are our shells/bodies not energy for new life? What we are without our body is an essence, a spirit, whatever you call it. It does not cease to exist when our shell "dies". Think about it... "god" would have to be anything but loving & all-knowing to create the mess we humans can find ourselves in. We do not end at "death". There is no hell or heaven.

Without the Lawgiver there can be no Law, With the Law there can be no consequence.

What would make you expect that you would or could have any subjective experiences after the cessation of your consciousness and then body?

Humans are the law givers. Humans make laws.

@xenoview I was referring to a divine law, of the monotheist cosmology the OP refers to. Humans make laws, duh. They make myths and fatuous comments as well.

@CapriKious
Humans made up divine law. All religions are human made.

@xenoview Why would you attempt to explain a common place to me? Explain to the poster, I have already established my position.

Before using up too much of your thoughts on death, spread your joy and energy on living this and every moment. We are living things, just like all the other living things on earth, Joy, love, happiness all thrive before we all become mulch.

Hell is not real. Study the evolution of hell and you will find many types of hell. Much of it so bizarre as to be funny and much of it before Christianity.

i still have some of those same anxieties after growing up extremely religious. from what i understand, it takes time, just like healing from religious indoctrination and trauma. if it really gets to you, i recommend therapy. just make sure your therapist is secular and understands you aren’t looking for a new faith.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:439365
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.