Agnostic.com

9 0

"holiday dinners"

How do you handle "holiday dinners" with insanely religious family? Especially when being preached at condescendingly is inevitable and holidays are pretty much mandatory.

Frankie4nym 4 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to get out of them through work or something, but if someone in my family gets preachy, it takes all my will power not to at least give an opposing opinion because I know I’ll get a barrage of comments telling me that I might be wrong or that I am wrong.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 27, 2018

Last time, I played holiday tunes on the piano the whole time and everyone was pleased as punch to leave me the fuck alone. It was glorious.

Never have I crafted a more successful win-win scenario, nor been prouder of doing so.

Well, if they were kind enough to invite me and I have accepted - I think is polite to treat their believes with respect. I follow their rites, pray with them if they pray and so on. In that case it is not a matter of religion, but matter of respect to my hosts.
Non-religious should not be a synonym of disrespectful.
Yet preaching on me definitely does not go well - I am soft and polite in my reactions yet most of the times I can easily turn the preaching into discussion and eventually the one that started preaching ends up being preached on him-/herself.

My family won’t even try to preach to me anymore. I know more about their religion then they do. And they know I can rip it to shreds. So religion isn’t brought up around me anymore.

Just think about the food, and the chance to peruse the books and magazines you've not yet read in their bookcases, as I do.

But to help your nerves; CBD oil, 5-htp, magnesium capsules, a few drops of iodine in some water, a nibble of certain edibles, an early morning walk, a small amount of fish..these help people become calm and upbeat.

Beyond that, you can edit what people say in your mind.
For instance, the word "god" can become "the universe," my "higher self," "universal consciousness," etc. and the word "prayer" can become "meditation," or "positive thoughts."
If someone gives a lengthy prayer you can meditate, using the drone of the prayer to help get your mind blank, or daydream about your goals.

When people ask nosy questions, you can answer, "Why do you ask? " and change the subject.

Been out of religious holiday dinners since I divorced my first husband and his family.

I think they’ve learned the lesson and for the most leave it alone. Haha
Now my moms husband doesn’t get tired of being bible schooled by a heathen like me😉

I don't. Luckily, no one expects me to attend gatherings like that, and the ones I do go to, all that
isn't an issue.

No, I stay at home and eat what the fuck I fancy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.