Agnostic.com

14 1

Would you rather be buried or cremated? Or is there a 3rd option?

• 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
4EvanSake 6 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fertilizing a big ol' oak!

“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Search a topic first - With thousands of posts, it is likely that people have posted about similar things. We suggest reading a few similar posts before making a new one. You are also encouraged to comment on a similar post as that bumps it back into circulation.

This about the seventh time for this question.

Was it the exact same question?

.ashes to ashes for me, donate what they want, then use the rest for science then burn whats left.

Personally, I like the idea of a pyre. Its only legal in one state in the US, and you have to be a resident of that particular town. I don't know the name, but I believe its in Co.

Think Soylent Green!

Just in case you don't know Soylent Green
[en.wikipedia.org]

Capsula Mundi to grow a tree. Now they are discussing using ashes from cremation but also looking at burying the whole corpse.

Buried because of Neil deGrasse's Tyson's reasoning that your energy is lost to heat when cremated. While burials allow your body to decompose and return to the earth for the use of bacteria, earthworms and plants. Eventually they get eaten by bigger animals or die to fertilise bigger plants - which eventually get eaten by humans. When I die, other people effectively eat me. 😛

But I'd like to see an industry around burials at sea. I don't know the logistics or what effects thousands of dead bodies would be on the ocean. But I'm ok with allowing marine creatures to consume me - as quickly as possible. I got this idea after watching one of the "Ask a Mortician" (Caitlin Doughty) YouTube video. She never suggested this, by the way. It was only something that popped into my head. Here she is talking about her preference for natural burials (buried naked or in a shroud in a hole) over traditional burials (embalmed in a casket):

Caitlin Doughty's main schtick is to "demystify" death and dying - to transform it from something we're afraid of into something that's part of our day-to-day lives. It's a good YouTube channel - very informational and interesting. And not at all morbid. Or just a bit. She doesn't shy away from confronting topics like: "will pets eat you when you die aroud them".

dress me up like a clown, Fill Me Up full of helium, then let go of the string, let me just float off somewhere.

What about leaks? 😉

patch with FlexSeal and proceed.

Cremated, and a party for my friends and family afterward. No religious service.

Need 4th option-other. If I am single I want to be buried in my backyard. My family has a family plot but it is in a Jewish cemetary and I had a dysfunctional relationship with my family and don't want to be near them. If I have a significant other would want to be buried with him.

Is it legal to be buried in the backyard?

don't know-state regulated. I wouldn't advertise it-lol

Prepared as a 12 course meal and fed to my family and they only get told after they have finished every last morsel !!!

Intense!

I heard someone say at his funeral he wanted the funeral home to end the service by playing "Pop Goes the Weasel," while the people present look uneasily to see if he'll pop up in his coffin at the end. That sounds good to me.

Could I be eaten by wolves please?

I always liked the idea of being fed to tigers 🙂

@Jnei Ooooh yes! The stripes are very appealing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.