Agnostic.com

15 1

Does 'turning the other cheek work'?

Does being an ethical person work?

atheist 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it depends ont eh circumstances. Amos talways, no it wont' work. However there may be instnces where you can say to a person tht no matter what they do they can't hurt or affect you in any significant way, by lettign thenm try.

I think the general idea is not to react emotionally to their actions. Some peopel only do things to see you react. If you don't react or react like it is nothign, then they stop bothering you. At least i think tha is th eidea behind it.

If you want your face to look balanced.

yep, then I can smack em on the other side of the head more easily.

Taking a page out of the 'Sarah Huckabee Sanders How To Be Evasive Handbook'...

Depends on what I'm turning my other cheek to.
If it's some petty minor thing, then yes.
If not, then no.
lol

No, because they'll expect you to turn yet another cheek and the only one you have left belongs to your neighbor.

And once they've turned both of their cheeks, they'll try to offer up your cheeks, too.

@farmboy2017 You've got four cheeks .....

Sometimes, depends on the situation.

Not always. Sometimes people see that as being weak and will continue to engage. Contrary to some belief.....there is a time for violence.

yes , live to fight another day

"You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you."

New Testament over throwing the Old Testament. Jesus' Sermon on the Mount must have sounded alien to those who listened. I think the idea is that this and his other teachings on the Mount are presented as Ideals to be aimed at even if they are beyond the scope of most.

cava Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

Another reason for not being religious . Shortly after the honeymoon , I was washing dishes after dinner . My new husband , came into the kitchen , and picked up a tea towel . I thought he was being sweet and intending to dry the dishes . Instead , he twisted the towel into a tight knot and smacked me across my butt , I chased him out of the house . When he returned , I told him what he did hurt , and was totally uncalled for . I continued , that was the first , last , and only time , he would ever hit me , under any circumstances , because I wouldn't put up with that sh*t . Although we had other problems , that never became one of them .

@Cast1es So you didn't turn the other cheek. 🙂

I think so as long as its a silent cheek, if someone is being hostile to me. I have no hesitation in walking away. I used to be a seriously soft touch and be had by anybody; but then I seemed to find my anger and walking away from someone seems to be a really keen insult. I remember being in a psyche ward once with someone I was visiting, and she took my face and pushed it away which I thought was wonderful - like - just go!Mime works better than words sometimes.

@atheist yes I am living in the present thanks times and customs move on.

@atheist it is valid for me that is all that counts to me - You can have as many opinions as you want this is my story my history I'll interpret it how I wish thankyou.

It can do

I've just turned my back on an aggressor and said nothing and it fucks them up

Work?...please define your term. Work for whom, to what end? It works great for me, for my spirit, my karma, as a Buddhist, it is vital for me also to be a good example or tolerance, patience, empathy and maturity. Buddha speaks on this, so did Jesus.

It's the principle man. Righteous is righteous and anything less is not, whether it seems to work is irrelevant. But to answer your question: yes it can, with patience and consistency. Some tricks don't roll over for a decade.

@atheist Wow. Xanax dude.

Unless someone is being discriminated vs because of their race, religion,ethnicity, nationality, LGBTQ status and disability

I would protect someone else.

Quite often, my experience is yes. It works. I can usually defuse angry situations and turn them toward a more positive direction.

@atheist Yes, and I am astute enough to realize that it doesn't always work. At least I give it a go, though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.