Agnostic.com

11 4

What gave you joy in 2019?

Despite breaking a toe on May 24 and missing 2-1/2 months, this year I did 43 hikes:

236 miles total with 52,562 feet of elevation gain. Not bad for age 66.

Took some pretty good pictures.

Your turn.

Photos:

1. Sunrise peeks over a mountain ridge at 11 a.m. Merritt Lake, January 2019.

2. Golden Week. Northern Larch frame Mt. Stuart and the Enchantments. October 22, 2019.

3. Oddly, this Hairy woodpecker ignored us. February 2019.

4. Mountain Red Columbine and Tall Mountain Bluebells. July 2019.

5. Snow slumps in warming air. Took off my gloves to take a photo of Karen. March 2019.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Joy had a rough time this past year. I've largely had to settle for hope.

I'm thinking........=0{

Friends, best friend, garden, nature, this site, the village, coffee shops, travel, and getting a few jobs done.

Moved to the beach, as I always dreamed of and set my goals towards

Retired (mostly) from a job I loved that offered me the salary and retirement funds to be able to do so

Being able to put down "Nothing" when asked what medications I take at 66 years old

Not being in the sandwich phase of life: no kids and no parents to worry about

Interacting with so many interesting and intelligent people here and on a few other social media sites...enriched my life with new perspectives, more knowledge, fun things, inspiring stories, life changing advice, courageous actions

2019 was a roller coast ride that I gladly took but I am looking forward to a quieter and more routinous 2020 Happy New Year to all...may our lives be full of health, happiness and adventures!

@thinktwice

Congratulations, dear! Thank you for your thoughtful, well-written reply.

We are the same age. You look great!

@LiterateHiker I have enjoyed your thought provoking and honest posts...they are varied, which makes you such an interesting person to follow...we also have a sewing/creative connection and we probably read a lot of the same books...that has added to my joy in 2019 as well. Your pictures and your love of the outdoors have been delightful.

ha ha thanks...I do sort of hate that I have to ask for my senior discounts...but I will take it while I can...looks fade but being healthy will get you through a lot of things as we inevitably get older...keep up the good work

@thinktwice

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you.

With this post, I wanted to focus on the positive.

@LiterateHiker I find most of your posts are positive! This one with the pictures are especially so...

@thinktwice

Hugs. Thank you.

My 2019 joy was in being alive and learning more about computers, working on my own 3 units, and updating constantly. I have learned that all is on the Internet if you know how to look and I continue to watch TV and movies as well as news from all over the world.

Other than the above I work a few short hours daily and then come home to hide behind closed doors until time to leave the next time. I'm off work New Years Day and am having a few drinks as I write this.

I had some fleeting moments of joy, but they're gone now.

Your post made me go back and check my FitBit stats for the year. I only had 18 hiking trips with significant elevation gain, but I managed a total of 42,000 feet for all of those hikes. The hiking mileage was probably about the same as yours, but FitBit gave me a total of 2500 miles for the year which also included refereeing 190 soccer games and walking my dog at least 4 miles every day. My dog (Scout) continues to be the one thing that gives me daily joy, and having him as a hiking companion makes my time in the outdoors more enjoyable.

@ATDayHiker

I did 43 hikes this year. Didn't count all the running and walking.

Congratulations on getting outside and hiking!

That's one good looking hiking companion.

My daughter accepted in MIT, Harvard and Yale for her PhD in Biology with full scholarship in all. She chose MIT.

Meeting my two new and first ever grandchildren. Baby girl in Seattle. Baby boy in California.

The ability to look back on those moments.

Finding this website and making some new friends.
Realizing my hording obsession and doing something about it.
Finally getting rid of my ex from my life.
Getting to "know" myself better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:444401
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.