Agnostic.com

6 4

Cringeworthy television admissions?

When I was a child, around eight years old, I loved Knight Rider. I recently went back and watched the two-parter for when KITT was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt, which was a storyline from a little later in the series that I remembered with fondness as pivotal. Wow! What a piece of utter rubbish! The acting and the action was really bad, but I give naïve, eight-year-old me a pass on that, just having too little viewing experience for satisfactory comparison. The story, though, was disjointed and barely coherent. There was no sense of real emotion that came through, no genuine sense of loss or triumph (not just in the acting, but as a viewer). In a word, it sucked. And I am more than a little embarrassed now by how much I genuinely loved that show as a kid.

How many of you are brave enough to admit to loving a television show (or movie, etc.) in your youth that you now, as an adult, realize was truly awful. What was it? How bad was it?

resserts 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I honestly haven’t revisited any, I did watch an A Team in later life and still found it just as fun. Even as a kid I realised that the items they assembled their projects from were farcical, so no change there 🙂

You think his acting was bad ? Consider Shatner .

Do you still love other things from childhood? Like gummy bears or plush toys? And Nobody had higher standards for tv fare back then...My Mother The Car, Mr Ed, Gilligan's Island, etc etc etc......

Not much survived my childhood. My tastes definitely changed over the years. But I still like Doctor Who, so that's something. Mr. Ed was terrible, I think trying to build off the success of Francis the Talking Mule (which wasn't half bad). But, yes, you're correct that there wasn't a lot of quality television programming overall.

Almost off of them were horrible. We were discussing Lost in Space at work a few weeks ago, OMG how corny was that.

And the remake on Netflix doesn't seem much better. 😬

Adventures in Paradise. The John Alden designed 85’ schooner used in that show, no doubt, initiated my love of sailing. I was so in love with that boat and that show!

A few years back, I found out an old friend of mine loved it too, so we bought the entire DVD collection, and laughed ourselves silly at the terrible acting, writing, and directing.

skado Level 9 Jan 4, 2020

Why did Emily look older than her mother, Laura? Also, I'm pretty sure Laura is way, way too excited to see Adam; she definitely wanted to give him more than a cup of tea.

@resserts
Looked that way didn’t it!

I remember that one , too .

Jackie Gleason was really loved by my grandparents and so, I thought his insults to Alice were funny. And, I might be the only person in the world who no longer "loves Lucy." Ever notice how she lied constantly? Manipulated her friends and her husband?

I never liked Ralph Kramden, who seemed perpetually pissed off, but I always enjoyed Ed Norton. Art Carney was fantastic in that role. I agree about I Love Lucy, but I didn't really like that show when I saw returns as a kid; I suspect that humor was meant for a very different audience.

@resserts When I first began working at Planned Parenthood, I ''managed'' a waiting room, where patients were given the option of watching recordings on a large tv. There was one set of CDs...guess what they were? Uh, huh! On a loop...it repeated over and over and over. I'd go home with that tune stuck in my head. (Duh, da, da, da, da, DUM dum dummmm) Anyhow, one day...the Lucy programs were gone! Wonder how THAT happened? They were replaced by beautiful nature scenes. Heh, heh, heh! (Anyone want an old Lucy set?)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:446057
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.