Agnostic.com

15 6

Gratitude? Is there someone from your life who made it better and to whom you would like to be able to go back and express your thanks?

My second grade teacher was the first person in my life, other than family, who encouraged me and made me feel important. She is long gone, but I wish I had sought her out and thanked her when she was still alive.

tioteo 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A couple of friends have really helped me out over the years with their support and insights. I'm grateful for them all the time and never forget to let the know.

Several, I'd say, but particularly my parents and my surrogate parents, the couple who lived across the street when I was growing up. My parents, of course, because looking back, I can truly appreciate what good parents, and just as importantly, good people they were.

The couple across the street were my second parents. I was welcome in the house anytime, and because they had 3 sons who were right around my age, I was treated just like another of theirs. They were good, kind people who never had an unkind word about anyone. The wife was a really smart lady who read voraciously, and I'm pretty sure, was an atheist, though the question as such, never came up directly to my recall. And the husband, like my own father, was one of those do-it-all kind of men who could build a house, or fix a car, regardless of how extensive the required repairs.

And they all had infinite patience, it seemed, to put up with and try to channel the energy of a bunch of rambunctious boys. Yet, they never hovered over us or tried to unreasonably restrict our adventurous natures. Of course, it was a different era then, and many of the perceived dangers we "protect" our kids from now didn't seem to exist then.

My mom when she was alive. She taught me common sense and how to do things for myself. She didn't baby me, even though I am mentally ill. Without her raising me properly, I would not be where I am today. Thank you mom.

In 1978 when I was 16, I had to leave home for self preservation and ended up in West Virginia. I was sleeping in a hospital when a nurse took me home with her. She had a newborn and even though I was grateful, it was years before I fully understood the risk she took.

I wish I could find her but I do not even remember the name of the town; just that the name snake river had something to do with the location.

Maria Lugones, my college philosophy professor, who is gone, a friend from college who really helped me develop my emotional health and intelligence and my soon to be ex. All women...

A lot, but particularly my maternal grandfather. It has come to light recently that he fought more of an uphill battle than any of us knew. It explains a few things about him I never understood.
He probably still wouldn't talk about it, but just talking to him knowing what I do now, would be different.

My son's father, the 6 mos before he died, became the partner I needed, nurtured my soul, made me believe in myself. It was such an unexpected change that it did give me panic and pause, I didn't fully embrace it. Then, suddenly, he was gone. The basis of our relationship was love and I don't need to go back. Wow, nice post, tioteo

Yes, my shrink from 5 years ago who helped me after I was sectioned. I wish I could find him.

I have a 2nd cousin who is older than my parents, in his 80s now, I rang him last year for that reason.

I had a counselor as an adolescent that I really attribute to saving my life. Without her help and guidance, I am not sure how my life would have turned out. I have been unable to locate her, but I would love to be able to thank her for what she did for me.

I was going through a tumultuous period in my life when we decided to get away for a while and try to works things out. First we climbed Whitney and then went to Disneyland. While there I realized I had dropped my wallet and ran across the whole park where I noticed a young cashier looking through it. I approached her and told her I lost my wallet and she asked how she knew it was mine. I told her to compare my license and my face and she gave it to me with every cent I had in it. This was before the days of plastic and I really don’t know what I would have done. I wish that I could thank the good person that turned it in with everything in tack. It really gave me a great attitude about the general honesty of people.

gearl Level 8 Mar 28, 2018

I have had that happen to me twice. It is an amazing feeling

The several psychological therapists I've had in my life. No one else helped at all.

Moms and besties are the best. 🙂

My best friend.
I tell her all the time how grateful I am for her, and what she means to me.
If I were to die tomorrow, she'd know just how important she was to me.
There would be no doubt in her mind that I loved her, and that knowing her made me a better person.

My mom, for home schooling me and teaching me to read. But I did thank her when she was alive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44797
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.