Agnostic.com

7 4

How to Stop Boys From Becoming "Me Too" Perpetrators

This is excellent. The conclusion is important:

Jackson Katz, author of “The Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and How All Men Can Help,” said that middle school is a critical intervention time.

“In early adolescence, boys haven’t yet fully absorbed some of the more problematic definitions of manhood that they will increasingly receive as they get older,” he said. “They’re highly impressionable and you can work with them.”

Still, any program aiming to fundamentally change boys’ attitudes about gender must compete with an endless stream of cultural messaging from their friends, family, the internet and movies, Katz added.

“A short conversation every week is not going to dislodge all of that,” Katz said. “It’s not like a vaccination, where you wait in line and get a shot and now you’re counteracting all the negative impacts that culture has been teaching you about men’s entitlement. But these kinds of interventions begin to get at what has to change.”

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love Jackson Katz. He was the first one that taught me about various masculinities in university. Prior to that, the focus in sociology gender courses was about women and femininity, so it was a nice change of pace. His documentary, Tough Guise, is worth a watch imo! Also this:

Very interesting, thank you. The bulk of effort in addressing male misbehavior is focused on punishing the perpetrator. Revenge.

Sex education MUST begin with language training....both my daughters learned anatomically correct words as soon as they began speaking and reasoning.....boys must learn to stand and urinate the same as consent to procreate....fuck all this cultural counter cultural bullshit in public schools....parents must be taught NEVER SEXUAL ABUSE their children with religious lies or practices. ...learning not to rape should be the same as learning to prevent STDs including HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS hpv that causes cervical cancer and warts on all hands

I like the article, but it doesn't end with Entitlement. If men were granted cultural permission to be caring and empathetic, entitlement wouldn't be a factor.

How so ?? The article is about teen/pre-teen boys getting comprehensive continuous messaging not to rape and objectify girls

@Larry68Feminist should have said the problem doesn't end with entitlement. I don't think it ends with psychological programming either. I think boys could be raised without the stringent prohibitions against compassion, communication, introspection, self-awareness, the nurturing skills. If boys were raised to value humanity we wouldn't need to be repaired by continuous messaging later.

I listen to women complain about the things they were taught as children and how those things have negatively affected their lives, and I sympathize.

Then I listen to women complain about the behavior of men, who are only doing what they were taught to do as children. There is zero sympathy, as if men were super-beings and able to override our programming like flipping a switch.

I could call that "The Masculine Mystique".

This is really obscure friend..... our bellicose society teaches young military to turn the killer switch on and off by Commander In Chief 45 44 43 .....2 & 1...onward xian soldiers who also are rewarded with recreational sex from women taught to fawn hero worship... it is a big PROBLEM that began with baby boys brutally circumcised and girls taught they ARE ORIGINAL SIN.... our Atheism is the fix and theocracy is the disease epidemic USA

we are starting to arise out of the victorian age ,baby boomers had parents that did not know and taught us a lot of wrong things whether male or female and it has taken a lot of us our whole lives to get thru this ad come out the other side a better person and these men do totally respect women in so many ways and there are women in the same situation ,enlightenment is starting to happen we just have to keep pushing it forward and spreading it in our own unigue ways for the betterment of one person at a time

Hmmm. My school failed on many levels by not stopping boys from grabbing my breasts in middle school.

MizJ Level 8 Jan 14, 2020

Glad one of the studies started with athletes as they were the perpetrators.

The thing to combat is objectification. It's not enough to teach boys not to hurt girls and women. You have to make them see us as equals, as human beings who deserve respect. Sometimes that means working against a whole lot of cultural influences.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 14, 2020

Person first, gender second.

All persons are sovereign as soon as they can say no to unwanted touch

Good point my kids know better than to hurt women, I instilled that at a early age same with grandson it's wrong to hurt women period

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 14, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:449186
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.