Agnostic.com

18 4

Does anyone else question themselves?

I feel like I'm constantly questioning whether or not my views are appropriate. One reason is because I think it's good to question my own motives, rather than just believing that I'm correct. Another reason is because I want to consider the other side to see if I can logically get past those opposing arguments, because maybe I'm just not seeing their perspective, or I'm missing information that would change my mind. But overall, the reason why I keep questioning is, what if I'm wrong?
With religion and politics in particular, I keep coming to the answer that for me, it's really about my morals and what I believe is truthful and reasonable. It's about how I want myself and others to be treated, and what I think my place in this world is.
I was wondering if others question themselves too? Any thoughts on this?

carcmcgarc 5 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did a lot in my young years...then I got busy with trying to keep hubby #1 from killing me, and a baby, and working 3 jobs after the divorce, and practical considerations became paramount. Now I feel I do know right from wrong and can trust myself to act accordingly, mostly.

I try to know my motives for things... as much as any really can. It helps to know WHAT to question rather than being frozen with indecision.

Somewhat...I question why I have to get up out of bed every day...among many other things.

I feel EXACTLY the same as you do. I question myself ALL THE TIME. Quite honestly I have no clue and it is driving me insane

I do question myself but with less anxiety of being right or wrong. I am in explorer-mode and enjoy the discourse of it all. If I don't like it cool. . . I don't question my ethics or morales as I do no harm and enjoy different ideas.

I believe when we die we go somewhere, just not sure where.

KUHNS Level 1 Apr 1, 2018

I do not question my lack of belief simply because it is a natural feeling in me. I don't rationalize about it, or debate myself (or anyone, for that matter) because as absolutely certain as theists believe that there is a Supreme Being, I am just as convinced there is not. I've seen no evidence, and the "spirit" has never moved me. To me, there is no more point to discussing it than whether or not the Earth is traveling through space on the back of a giant tortoise.

The unexamined life is not worth living.
The overexamined life is hell.

If there was a god, wouldn't he/she be more concerned if you are a good person? If I ever start questioning, I always come back to that. And if said god is a jealous god, sign me up for hell.

In general, it's good to make sure you have some idea why you do or believe what you do or believe. There are some settled questions on which you can feel fairly confident you don't have to worry about it (flat-Earth, anti-vax, spirit mediums, just to name the most obvious). If at least some of your worldview hasn't changed and evolved over time, that's when to worry.

Every day, but not all day long.

Yes, all the time. Growing older doesn't mean you make less mistakes even when you ask lots of the right questions.

SamL Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

I know that I am capable of error, and am open to that possibility. But, at this stage of my life, after many years of thought, experience and reflection, I am quite comfortable with who and where I am today. My perceptions, opinions, beliefs, and actions have been tested and hard won.

I have often wished I was totally convince that I was always right. But, I don't.

Not so much questioning my outcomes, but looking back on the route that got me that place. Checking the validity, I think.

I think that is part of living in a world dominated by Reason. You can only feel your own feelings, see things from your experiences.

I can only try to imagine how someone else might feel. And I do. Often.

I am constantly questioning myself, but for different reasons. I seem to lump a lot of what you are saying under a different umbrella, that is what I view as moral, ethical, humane and fair. When you think about it religion (beliefs) and politics can fit in there and I find little to question, not that I’m right 100% because my thoughts can evolve, but these are foundational for me.

Pretty rare, I guess. Takes a fair amount of self-esteem. The last celebrity that I can recall doing this was Einstein, I guess. Women seem to be much better at this than men, huh

Yes I do. especially the 'Am i harsh?!" I think its a good practise so long as it doesnt become a way of beating yourself up. n I try to find a way to be with myself - I remember an old teacher saying to me 'make yourself right because there are plenty out there who will make you wrong!'
Overthinking is a way of not experimenting and in terms of what is right or wrong for both you and others I have never really been able to find out answers to that sometimes I have to throw my arms up on the air and declare 'I don't know, but I am going to do it anyway and see what happens!"

I also think it's important to continue to reevaluate your prior-held notions. Even when they are well-grounded in reason, you can often find deeper nuances of understanding you may previously have missed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44985
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.