Agnostic.com

36 6

Do you tend to spend too much time in your head?

Regarding thoughts such as worry, and stress, William James, an American philosopher, and psychologist, said:

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another."

When we view our mind as a tool that should work for us, not against us, we can decide what to think which can contribute to well being.

Learning this skill (which took a lot of practice) has helped me cope with very trying circumstances, disappointments and hardships. That's not to say I don't get stuck in my head from time to time, but I do it far less than I used to. They're useless thoughts -- energy vampires.

What about you --- do you think you ruminate too much? If you used to but don't anymore, how did you change your pattern of thinking?

• 45 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 7 votes
VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

YES!

I'm the problem solver in the house. I try not to be confronted with problematic issues in the evening, no discussions on how to solve a challenge. It can keep me awake. But since I control that better and take care that my body is able to cool down during the night (getting rid of the heat that sleeping seems to accumulate), I sleep like …… well, like someone that sleeps well 🙂. Being retired helps.

Gert Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

My brain never stops so I chose other. Have gotten better at thought management, distract my self sometimes on accident, eventually, I return to all thoughts.

Yes too much thinking then suddenly realize it! Snaps out if it the thinks of something good. The Brain is like a stage with a play on it. Change the play.

I'm an introvert. Not all of the time I spend in my head is worry. There is an exercise in DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) that suggests the average human has tens of thousands of thoughts go through their minds daily, so don't "latch on" to any particular thought. I used a combination of this and learning to love and accept myself to be better at it, not perfect, just better.

I love it inside my head, people there understand me.

I have a bad tendency to ruminate, and I need very much to cut down on this. Thank you for the quote by William James, and the concept of using thoughts as a tool for our benefit.

I'm a "ruminator" big time, sometimes I have to talk to myself and even then, it's tough. I can be reading a book and thinking of something at the same time. Like everyone, I've had a lot of "bad" stuff in my life that goes way back. I regret much of my life and have made many mistakes. There's a saying that you reap what you sow. I never could "sew"....!!! I've made my peace by accepting responsibility but living with it is still difficult, although I have improved. I think we are our past, upbringing.....it can't be erased. I'm certainly not alone........I think that's where the ruminating comes from.....I continue to work at it......🙂

I discovered during a period of intense pain that I could be thinking of one thing and having a parallel thought wander in. At first I was thinking schizophrenia or something but in talking with my group of Parents dealing with loss, I found it was common in periods of profound grief.

No like winnie the pooh I am a bear of very little brain. Much more impulsive and immediate than is good for me and other people get to have a good laugh at my expense.

I have depression, PTSD and anxiety disorder. Add to that the fact that I read a lot, and I'm a self-published writer. So, the answer is yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.