Agnostic.com

17 5

Atheist Conferences

Anyone going to the American Atheists Convention in Phoenix April 9-12?

ElusiveMoby 7 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That would be awesome to attend!

VENUE
The convention will be held at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, which places downtown Phoenix at your feet. Explore museums, culture, the arts, and the vibrant nightlife of downtown Phoenix just outside the hotel doors.

American Atheists convention attendees receive a special discounted room rate of just $112 per night!

BOOK YOUR ROOM
The Hyatt Regency Phoenix features amazing dining options including the Compass Arizona Grill, the only 360° revolving rooftop restaurant in Arizona. And it’s only a short walk to the Arizona Center shops and entertainment at CityScape, located two blocks from the hotel.

HYATT REGENCY PHOENIX
122 North Second Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004
(602) 252-1234

The schedule looks interesting as well, and if you haven't connected with a potential romantic interest on this agnostic.com website, you might someone local at the dance:
[convention.atheists.org]

I can only hope for a similar conference here in South Africa it would be well attended. I sooooo wish we had an Atheist talk radio here too!

I am still thinking about going . I am from the Eastcoast ,I do not know anyone who is going .

Why? What do you do there?

I heard God has considered going, but no one invited her.

Word Level 8 Jan 26, 2020

Would love to go carpooling and room sharing....going stag is out of my budget....I have been to 10 American Atheists National Conventions including our Solar Eclipse NOT Madalyn and Jefferson birth anniversary party....there is no such thing as "Easter weekend" there was no crucifixion and 33 hour "death" of an alleged baby gawd in Palestine 1987 or 1991yrs ago upon our fake backdated fictional calendar

I would love to. If my promoter can get me a gig there then I'll be there for sure.

Hope you get that gig.

I'll probably be in Mesa with my girlfriend in early April. Fairly short drive from my home in Las Vegas. I'll look into it.

Inwould love to but next year I am planning on going to Faithless Forum, a meeting of atheist YouTubers.

I am!!

Fantastic!

I have friends that will be there, but I have to work. Phoenix is nice in April, try to go to the Desert Botaical Gardens while you are here.

I'll add that to my list. Thank you.

Not a priority. Phoenix is very nice in April, though. You'll enjoy it.

I have to be there in February on business, when it's still nicer than here in upstate NY. I lived there for 13 years and so know it well.

Thanks for the comment about Phoenix!

@ElusiveMoby You can take the light rail to get there.

I think you'll have fun. I'm an introvert, and don't mingle with people very well, but at the conventions I've been to, I had a lot of fun. I wish I could go, but I'm on the other end of the country.

I'm an introvert too.

I'll be tempted to gravitate to some empty table or seat on the side but I'll force myself to put on my look of confidence and head to the center of the room.

Me too. Well, I should say I'm an extroverted introvert. I mingle well when I feel comfortable. It's the whole idea of walking into a place not having ever previously met any person who is there that terrifies me.

I probably don't need a conference about something I don't believe in. I'm OK with it.

Are you disinterested in public gatherings and/or conferences in general?

I might consider it. I do and have gone to many Freedom From Religion Foundation conferences and they are fun, fun and even funny. They are also very well attended (900 in the Portland conference) and have top notch speakers (Salman Rushdie in the San Francisco conference - LucyLooHoo and I attended this one). The next one will be November in San Antonio and I will go (if nothing less than to bug my JW sister).

If I go to Phoenix, I will be going alone.

Think I'll be okay?

@ElusiveMoby Sometimes these conventions have hotel rooms that are double or triple. In San Francisco there were no singles so I got a double with 2 beds and offered one to a member here. Had one taker for a while but they changed their mind and didn't go. Perhaps you could share it with another woman for peace of mind.

@JackPedigo I'd rather just pay for a double. Sharing a room with someone I hardly know is awkward for sure.

@ElusiveMoby Absolutely, especially male & female. The one person who expressed a desire also asked for a drivers license copy and permission to do a background check. Perhaps I should ask for an over night sound recording to be sure of no snoring! lol

@ElusiveMoby Phoenix is pretty safe, and the weather in April will be delightful if a bit warm. My girlfriend's sister used to work as a pastry chef at the Hyatt Regency. A safe and clean hotel.

Hmmm....I could actually drive to San Antonio. I may consider it. How long is it? What kinds of events, etc. fill up the time?

@BlueWave The event will be from Fri. evening to Sunday morning. The main thing Sunday morning is a board/member meeting which some board nerds (as I ) love to attend. Here is a link: [ffrf.org] but, it is still early so not all details have been worked out. I have attended 6 so far and have experienced a great time. There are sales, jokes, music and even an excursion to some touristy place. The normal attendance is 700+ but I suspect this one will be larger. At San Francisco I met another Agnostic member and would have met another one but our messages got confused.

@JackPedigo Good to know. Thanks!!

@BlueWave Just received a note from FFRF: Gloria Steinem to headline FFRF’s 2020 convention

I will purchase my ticket and make the trip, even though I've never been to an atheist convention before.

Good question 🙂

Varn Level 8 Jan 21, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:451533
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.