Agnostic.com

13 2

Have you ever looked back on a belief and later asked yourself how you could have ever believed that?

I didn't grow up in a Christian household, but I remember seeing my mom always attend bible study and church on Sunday. All I can ever remember is once having a fear of going to hell if I didn't believe in God or his son, who was risen from the dead that had died for our sins. As I started hitting early teenage years, I started to really think about just how ridiculous Christianity really was. Talking snakes, talking animals, Jona living inside of a whale for three days, Jesus walking on water and turning water into wine. I could go on, but then I actually started to think just how insane the belief was and could always think to myself how I could ever once believe that and have a fear of it. The concept of someone dying for humanity's sins, just to be risen three days later. I think I was told or may have read somewhere that when a person dies, their earthly body stays on earth, yet when Jesus'' body went up into heaven, there was no sign of his body. I could remember being around family and friends and would always ask myself how could they not really set back and think about this whole to understanding how ridiculous it is. It always got me how Christians always claim their belief is THE RIGHT ONE when all religions claim to be true.

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An interesting British series called "7 Up" is about interviewing groups of kids starting at 7 years old and then going ahead every 7 years and seeing how things have changed. One kid, at 14, said he would never change his beliefs because to do so would make a mockery of his present ideas. Then came life and things happened he could not control. Out of all the people interviewed this kid changed the most and he recognized it and was grateful he stopped thinking like he did at 14.

It's not just about religion but how I view everything around me continues to change. How I see things evolves from day to day. And when I reach my ultimate wisdom then it is time to die!

I don't think I ever seriously believed the stories like Adam and Eve or Noah's ark really happened, but still I look back and can't believe that I really believed in a god that loved people.

You believe anything when you are a child , Santa, the Easter Bunny , Tooth fairy ,And God .But some people never grow up

Pretty much everything I learnt in my childhood I've had to discard so I've had a very long period of discarding all sorts of nonsense. I wish it was as easy to forget as it is to learn.

No, I was brain washed with religion since I was born. By 6 or 7, was questioning everything. Consider I did the best with what I was given.

Yes, part of it is that it took me three times to read the whole bible and associating with the people I did at churches I was at during my times of believing.

Every day.

gearl Level 8 Nov 25, 2017

Definitely. Doing so helped me deconstruct my faith and understand myself; understand the big WHY. It's an introspective question; one that is the beginning of an awesome journey.

No, because I was on a mental, emotional and spiritual journey so I completely understand how I believed it and that enables me to also understand how others are along the path of their journey!

Nothing to wonder by looking back the past days.. Was in the control of other.. In Childhood always with a question of existence ????
The day I was independent and strongly believed I m responsible to face the world.. I became a hardcore atheist..

Actually, no, I don't look back and wonder. I was a kid brought up in a casually Catholic household. So of course I went in that direction. But as soon as I began to question (around 14), I quickly realized that particular fantasy was not at all mine, and the wandering began ! Whatever works for whomever.

I'm a different person than I was then . A work in progress always ...

Of course. Any honest and rational person has. The important thing is recognize and face it when facts prove the old belief wrong and to have the courage to change.

Yeah, Christianity, i was raised as one.
But i'm not to hard on myself, i mean, i was a kid.
And, as soon as i began thinking by myself i started questioning everything they told me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.