Agnostic.com

39 5

What is something your parents told you as a kid that you realized later it was an outright lie?

Aralt 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and god, and when I had a child of my own we did not start out his life with a lie, I said we pretend santa fills you socks, and as mom and dad know what we would like you to have we will take care of the bigger gift,or gifts, And you do not tell your friends as their parents are telling them a little lie,but you are just to smart a toddler for that, but don't ruin it for their mom and dad, my thought was if you start right out telling your kids lies, how do they know when to trust you are telling the truth.

"I love you."

I canr really remember anything my parents told me they were not 'hands on' just two very damaged individuals who were damaging to their children - My mother was bipolar mainly manic and you couldnt really get through to her at all except by accepting violence. Strangely I doubt they did lie except for my mothers family who lied to save her from going into a mental hospital

That masturbation was bad.

MikeM Level 3 Mar 30, 2018

My Dad convinced my brother he could lay eggs. I sussed he may be making it up. We were about 6 & 8 respectvely. I clearly remember my brother telling people it was definitely true / getting into quite heated convo's with adults for a six year old!!

Not too much as like me they were straight talkers.

Santa, & that my father was always "going to see a man about a dog!"
I couldn't give a rats about Santa but damm I wanted a dog.....

That was one of my father's favorite lines when he was going to the local tavern.

To believe in

You'll grow up and be .

Trod Level 5 May 13, 2018

You'll grow up and be .

Trod Level 5 May 13, 2018

My father told me that FDR saved the world from the depression. I later learned that in fact he made the depression worse by convincing businessmen to keep wages the same even though prices were falling. The businessmen reacted by laying their employees off.

My Parents told me that God loved me and would take care of me, answer my prayers and take me to heaven when I died. They lied, but they didn't know they were. They had also been lied to and just had never challenged the ideas. They didn't suffer from the lack of knowledge, just stayed blissfully ignorant. I couldn't stand it! They always loved me but worried about my strange beliefs/nonbeliefs.

PEGUS Level 5 Apr 29, 2018

That I was premature.

That was after my aunt got pregnant, and I learned that babies took over 9 months to be born. My first question was, "When did you guys get married?"

JimG Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

That ,sometimes, lies are ok if they are to used when you feel they will protect others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.