Agnostic.com

32 7

Who are your science heroes?

Which scientists (in any field) do you most admire, either for their achievements, their efforts to increase awareness of science or simply their personality?

Simply because they're the first three that came to mind (there could be so many others), I'm going to pick...

Sophie Germain - who, despite living in an era when women were strongly discouraged from receiving education and being unable to make a career in science due to misogyny, became one of the most respected mathematicians and physicists of the late 18th/early 19th Centuries thanks to her work on Fermat's last Theorem and elasticity theory.

Richard Feynman - in addition to his revolutionary work in physics, Feynman was also one of the first (and most effective) popularisers of science. He also gave us one of the greatest stories in science: when a student told him that his mother disagreed with him that physics was the most important thing in the world and begged him to write to her, Feynman agreed. In his letter, he wrote "Your son informs me that you do not believe physics is the most important thing in the world. You are absolutely correct - love is."

Srinivasa Ramanujan - despite having no formal training, Ramanujan's mathematics impressed G.H. hardy so much that he received a personal invitation to Cambridge, where he faced great prejudice before literally blowing everyone away with the sheer quality of his work.

Jnei 8 Mar 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Darwin/Dawkins/Thaller/Sagan

Science is not my religion and to quote Bunny Johnson when Bob Marley died... "I keep no altar for fallen generals".

Rachel Carlson
Mother of the ecology movement.
Sounded the alarm

Michelson and Morley, the inventors of interferometry which blew the ether theory to kingdom come.
Lise Meitner She worked with Otto Hahn 0 uclear fisson.; Was denied the the Nobel Prize in 1944 because she was Jewish.
Richard Feynman because he made me laugh
Isaac Newton
Faraday - discovering by doing- I would have loved to work in his lab.

I forgot Meitner; she'd have been on my list too.

Not thought of as a scientist, but surprised I havent seen Leonardo DaVinci in the list. Looking at some of his inventions and reading about some of his life's work, I can't help but think of him as a hero. Of course, I would also include Tesla, Sagan, Darwin, Hawkings, Galileo, and Einstein. I knew one of the physicists who worked on the Polio vacine and would include Salk as well. There was also a little known woman who developed a treatment for Polio before the vacine came to be. She was an Australian nurse who came to the US and although her treatments worked, the orthopedic surgeons of the time refused to accept her methods because they were not like the accepted procedures of the day. Her name was Sister Elizabeth Kenny and her story is fascinating.

Richard Feynman's autobiographical memoir "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" is perhaps the most entertaining book I have ever read. And Feynman was serious about love. After getting his PhD from Princeton, he married his high school sweetheart Arline Greenbaum in spite of the fact that she was dying of tuberculosis.

Mr. Wizard

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45562
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.